Saturday, February 05, 2005

"Isn't it Nice to be Home Again"

The above title is from one of shortest songs James Taylor ever recorded. You can find it on the "Mudslide Slim" album. Yeah I still say "album". Sorry, it's a generational thing. Anyway, after driving 1150 miles this week, I had that song on my mind and heart. It IS always nice to be home again! No bed sleeps as good as the bed you have at home, I don't care WHERE you are. The environment might be nicer or more luxurious, but the bed just ain't the same.

I confirmed one thing by leaving town. I am a bonified Blog junkie! I thought I was going to have to go thru some detox therapy while I was gone. So my confession is that this blog world is addicting. But it is a good addiction. I've had worse.

As always, I was with some wonderful people and had some great experiences. I had one REALLY REALLY negative experience that I will blog about later next week. For now, I wanted to share with you two things that I heard that encouraged me while I was on my trip. One came from Patrick Mead of Rochester, Michigan. I had never heard Patrick before, but I for sure want to hear him again! He is of British decent, so just hearing him talk is an experience. He had been given the topic of "Be Prepared to Give an Answer" as his key-note address at the OCU lectures.
Growing up, this scripture had been used like a sledge hammer to pound into us the concept that you better know your doctrinal stances on EVERYTHING, so you could be "prepared to give an answer". So, I was not going into this with the best attitude. Patrick blew me away, and everybody in there. The message was this: Jesus is the answer! Amen? I wish all of you could have heard it. If you want to purchase the tape, just contact OC and I am sure they can tell you how to purchase it. It would be well worth your money. The negative experience that I mentioned above took place after Patrick's talk, and I will tell you about it later.
I want this post to be a positive one.

The second encouragement I received was from a minister at the Alameda Church in Norman, Oklahoma. I don't recall his name. That night they were beginning a series on Job. The whole lesson was really good, but one part really stuck with me. This minister made the observation of how many times we turn our back on God because of suffering. The minister could not have been over 30, and he reflected on the fact that he and his wife had already lost a child. So, it became evident that he was not talking about the theory of suffering........he had been there up close and personal. It was experiential to him, not intellectual. And isn't he right? Many have lost their faith because of "bad" things that have caused them to suffer.
You and I both could name people that we have known that have made this choice. Then he made his point.........isn't it ironic that when God wanted to communicate how much he loved us, he did it thru the avenue of suffering! His suffering was our greatest blessing. I know that is not all that earth shattering, but it impacted me that night. I came away knowing and convicted that instead of running from suffering, I ought to embrace it. Easier said than done, huh? You bet it is.

So there you have it. Two ways I was blessed this past week. I will also tell next week about a third blessing.......one that came from Rich Little. He was at OC also, and it made me realize how much I wish he was back in Searcy. I know the folks in Naperville would not give him up without a fight! :)

It is indeed nice to be home again.......with all of you friends from my blogging world. You all are a blessing to me! Thank-you!



10 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

It is good to have you back. I can totally relate to the addiction part.

No matter how great our journeys are, you are right, it is always good to get home. Just imagine how good that heavenly home is going to be.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

O yay! You went to the OC lectureship. I practically grew up on that campus. However, I am horrified what your negative is. I know it's not a perfect place--where is on earth? Glad you had 2 great positives! Patrick Mead is great!

I agree with DLG, most every time I am away from "home" I think how wonderful heaven will be!

Count me in the certified blog junkie group, too. I am sure I have had worse obsessions. My husband is just trying to figure out which one it was.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger TKP said...

Are you coming for ACU lectures? I'm having a blog party or something like that. Stop by and leave a comment sometime!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger David U said...

TKP, I don't see ANY way that I will make it to the ACU lectures, although I would love to! I get to go to the OCU and Pepperdine Lectures because they are in my territory that I travel for Harding. Another guy has Texas. Thanks for asking, and be sure to let me know how they go. I would love to get over there if for nothing else to see Mike again and all you wonderful people there! :) Thanks for stopping by!

God bless you in your studies!
DU

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger believingthomas said...

Nice to have back in blog land too. Yes I have to admit it is getting to be an addiction. You mentioned on Fajita's blog about how preaching "the church" creates pride. Can you elaborate. I think I know exactly what you mean. But I have never heard it expressed that way.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger David U said...

I think what Bro. Jim means is that lots of times when we preach about the church, we see it as preaching about US and how we have it right. Therefore, it instills a prideful mindset. If we preach Jesus, that is not an option.

Thanks for asking brother!

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

air jordan shoes for sale
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren outlet
mac cosmetics
nike free
michael kors handbags
cyber monday deals
true religion outlet
ferragamo outlet
nfl jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
polo ralph lauren
ugg outlet store
air max shoes
mbt shoes outlet
michael kors outlet
parajumpers outlet
snow boots
air force 1 shoes
burberry outlet store
mm1223

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

fitflops sale
coach outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets uk
coach outlet
coach outlet store
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
pandora charms sale clearance
mt20180602

 

Post a Comment

<< Home