Thursday, January 20, 2005

Scripture

I did this post once, and something happened to it. So if it shows up twice, just "HOYT" me.

A few weeks ago I was in a group setting where we were singing comtemporary worship songs. Out of the blue, the person leading our singing led an oldie goldie that I had not sung in YEARS. I mean 10 years at least. It was great to sing it again, and it had a very positive impact on everyone there I think. Here is what jumped out at me......I knew every word to every verse. I can't remember what I had for supper last night, and I know every word to a song I haven't sung in ten years!! What's up with that? Well, I think we learn better with music. DUH! How did you learn your ABC'S? How did you learn the books of the Bible? How did you learn Jacob's sons? Need I go on? Are any of you able to quote scripture the way you wish you could? I know that it is more important to know God than it is the scriptures that tell us about him........but I believe scripture is very important.
It's the word of God, his Spirit, and Son. So why don't we learn scripture by song? Don't the Jewish people have their children sing scripture? Don't the Muslim people learn the Koran by learning chants?

I've heard all my life that you don't bring up a problem unless you have a solution.
Ok, why not have someone like David Campbell, who is a creative genius, and others like him to come up with some songs of scripture? Wouldn't you love to hear "The Zoe Group" sing Romans 8? How about "The Hallal Singers" doing the Sermon on the Mount? I would love hearing either one of them singing "Hickory Dickory Dock", let alone beautiful scripture. Our children could learn them from an early age, and it would be with them for the rest of their lives. If this is already being done, forgive me for being ignorant about it. It wouldn't be the first thing I was ignorant about.

I lived in Nigeria in 1965. I never learned to speak Igbo, except for a few greetings. I DID learn to sing the complete first verse and chorus of "Send the Light". Guess what, it's 40 years later and I can still sing it.

And I can't tell you what I had for lunch today.

10 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I took a special studies class in Italian one time and figured out the words to Sleeping Single in Double Bed. Guess what? It is the only Italian I remember. I think you are on to something.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amen...I remember hearing the Christians in Uganda singing the Scriptures, since many of them were illiterate and didn't have access to a Bible. I wish someone would come up with a musical Bible...that would be rad...

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I so agree with you--I have wondered why someone (or some groups) didn't do this. Wouldn't it be awesome--tunes of pure scripture running around in your mind all the time?
Betty

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Yes, McLaren did write such an article, and if you have a New Wineskins online subscription it's found at http://www.wineskins.org/content.asp?CID=48439. (There was a version of it at emergentvillage.com - McLaren still has it listed at http://www.anewkindofchristian.com/archives/000069.html - but that link is no longer active.)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger dutro said...

3 years ago, in a 6th grade class at church i was helping with, our group was given the assignment to put Prov. 3: 5-6 to music and present it at the end of the class period. We did that, and we still sing it. I think limericks could be used the same way:

There once was a man from Samaria
While traveling out of the area
Took a stranger who bleeds
and took care of his needs
Would you do it, or would it scare ya?

There once was a man named Saul
Who killed Christians and gave it his all
He was blinded by light
But it gave him his sight
And from that moment on, he was Paul

Others?

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Maybe if you could write a jingle to the menu at Lennys you could remember what you ate today! Good thoughts. When we were in Guyana a few years ago, a guy lead a "crowd favorite" every nite called"Sweet Honey in the Rock" with a line that sang..."taste and see,(repeat) that the Lord is Good,(repeat), Oh it taste like honey in the rock." I'll never forget the words and the passion with which they sang it. A agree also with the earlier comment about Accapella. We used to listen to their music around the clock and many of those songs are etched on my brain..both cells!Songwriters, look no farther for ideas...Pick up the Good Book and start writing jingles.
keith

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

air jordan shoes for sale
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren outlet
mac cosmetics
nike free
michael kors handbags
cyber monday deals
true religion outlet
ferragamo outlet
nfl jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
polo ralph lauren
ugg outlet store
air max shoes
mbt shoes outlet
michael kors outlet
parajumpers outlet
snow boots
air force 1 shoes
burberry outlet store
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home