Sunday, January 30, 2005

Christian Chronicle

Over the past year I have really gained a new respect for the Christian Chronicle. They have written some really objective articles, and have not dodged any of the "hot topics" going on within our fellowship (hope you noticed how I am trying to stay away from the "B" word). From my view point, they have been doing a good job of just analyzing the different topics, and trying to give all the perspectives of the topic they are discussing. Evidently being objective is offensive to some people. A few issues back they did a feature on the present discussions going on between folks from our fellowship and folks from the "Christian Church". Folks from each group have met to try and begin a dialogue focused on the things we have in common, rather than what our differences are. These brothers in Christ are trying to see if we can have unity in some areas so that we can work together to defeat the enemy, which is Satan. I thought the coverage the Christian Chronicle gave the talks was very unbiased, and very informative. I know I am only one person, and not everybody is going to read the articles and have the same response I had. In the latest issue, a person wrote a letter in response to that article. I won't quote the whole letter, but here are a few gems. "With all the liberal problems the church of Christ has had over the last 30 years this is no time to think we are going to convert the Christian Church leaders. As long as Genesis 4 is in the Bible, a weak compromising position with the Christian churches is error and wrong. God's word should be calling the shots, not the intellectuals among us."

Ok, I know......it's pointless to respond to that ludicrous of a statement. I am sure the author of that letter is a Godly man, and will be in heaven with you and me. But isn't it kinda discouraging? I wish the Chronicle wouldn't publish negative letters like that, but then again maybe they are trying to expose the fact that there are people out there with that warped of a view. CONVERT? Convert to what? And in case you don't remember and don't have a Bible handy, Genesis 4 is about Cain and Abel. Hmmmm......I wonder which group is Cain and which group is Abel? :) I think the parable of the two men going up to pray would have been a better passage to site.

May God give us the wisdom and faith to love others the way he loved us.

FYI, I will be on the road all of this week, so no blogging for me! I hope I have a lot of wonderful stories about some special people to tell you about when I get back.

GOD BLESS!

7 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I agree with all you have said--the Christian Chronicle has been doing quite well lately. I read that letter you mentioned. I am not sure anyone mentioned converting the Christian church, in the article he was responding to. Or did I miss something? When I read responses like that I don't know whether to pray for him or pray for myself. I wonder what I am doing that God would consider absurd?
Safe travels! Betty

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger believingthomas said...

I guess I will agree with you that the CC has been better, but honestly I still skim it and toss it. As I was reading your blog, I was already thinking, this is from a fear that if anybody else is right on something that means I must be wrong on something, which means I am lost. It is really a sad place to be. Another letter on that subject used a phrase that I guess I had forgotten. "Come let us reason together". Boy talk about a modern phrase! Run that in the paper for a week and watch who shows up.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I remember seeing similar reactions to a Chronicle article a few months back about meetings between representatives of Churches of Christ and International Churches of Christ at ACU.

I guess there will always be some people who put a greater emphasis on castigating those whom they perceive to be sinful than on being one as Jesus and the Father are one so that the sinful might know that the Father sent Jesus.

There will always be those who see example and inference as command, rather than seeing revelation, story and insight.

And there will always be those who will enjoy singing the Anthem for the Self-Saved Clan, I'm afraid.

They make it really tough for me not to judge. They make it really tough for me to love. And, worst of all, they make it really tough for me to want to be as inclusive of them as they are are exclusive of others.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Thanks to you Dave, I will read the new edition that arrived yesterday. I have just been tossing it. I did notice last month though that they gave the new Zoe CD a good review. Maybe there is change or mellowing on the horizon.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

air jordan shoes for sale
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren outlet
mac cosmetics
nike free
michael kors handbags
cyber monday deals
true religion outlet
ferragamo outlet
nfl jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
polo ralph lauren
ugg outlet store
air max shoes
mbt shoes outlet
michael kors outlet
parajumpers outlet
snow boots
air force 1 shoes
burberry outlet store
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home