Sunday, January 23, 2005

Bye Johnny

Can you believe it? I can't. I would bet that 10 out 10 people of my generation could hum the first few notes of the theme music to "The Tonight Show" even if they had a gun to their head fixing to shoot if they didn't answer correctly. I can still remember my dad being upset that Jack Parr had been replaced by this "new guy". That "new guy" won us over pretty quick, and was a nightly fixture in most of our living rooms for 30 years or so. Do you remember Tiny Tim's wedding? I loved the fact that he had young comedians on there that were trying to break in to the big time.....Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, and some guy named Jerry Senfield to name a few. He was always so gracious and encouraging to them. I watch the two L brothers from time to time.......Leno and Letterman. I usually laugh some when I do. But you know what, it's never been the same since Johnny left. It never will be. How does the old saying go......."you can follow a star, but you can never replace him". How true! I don't know if Johnny was a believer or not. I sure hope he was. We'll miss you Johnny! Goodbye.