Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Walking Guy

I really don't even know where I am going with this post for sure. I just wanted to share something with you that is interesting to me. For those of you who have never been to Searcy or haven't had the blessing to visit in a long time, we actually have a four lane that runs from one side of the city to the other. This is relatively new.........probably within the last 10 years. It has relieved a lot of the congestion of other smaller streets in town........and to tell you the truth IT has become too crowded during certain times of the day. I don't know how we made it before!I take my hat off to the people involved for planning this "bypass", as some call it. They had the vision to put a sidewalk on one side so that those who like to walk could do so without the risk of walking on the street and getting hit. On parts of Beebe-Capps(the name of the four lane) there is a side walk on BOTH sides of the street!
Ok, here is where the title of the post comes in. There is a guy that walks pretty much every morning on the section of Beebe-Capps where I have to drive to get to work. If I don't see him in the morning, I will see him in the evening on the way home. Get this........from my vantage point, I think this guy tries to look at everybody that drives by him. EVERYBODY! And if you wave, he waves back! I don't know him from Adam, and my guess is that MOST people who are driving down the street don't know him either. I am not kidding, I have worried that he was going to step off the sidewalk into the street because he was so intent on seeing each person in their car. I don't walk like that. I look down or straight ahead like any "normal" person would. I would feel like an idiot if I tried to look at EVERY person who drove by me when I was walking. I think that is what this whole post is about.......me coming to the realization of who the real idiot is. Is it because I am shy that I wouldn't look at people? Probably not. More than anything, it would have to do with me not wanting to make people feel uncomfortable by looking at them.
How did we get there? I saw a show on TV a few weeks ago that was supposed to be based on a true story. A man was stabbed to death because when he got on a city bus, he didn't divert his eyes from another man who was looking at him. In other words he had the gall to look someone in the eye, and it cost him his LIFE! Yea it's sad, but it is even more sick. How did we get there? Our kids are more apt to want to watch a movie together than sit down and play a board game while looking across the table at each other. How did we get there?

If we are going to impact our communities, if we are going to be light and salt, we better be willing to look people in the eye and tell them that they have a Savior who loves them. Thanks "walking guy" for getting me out of my comfort zone, and for showing me who the real idiot is. I get to look at him every day in the mirror.

7 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger dutro said...

David, have you ever seen the man that WON'T look at you, no matter what, and won't even allow you to see his face? As you approach him (he is walking, you are driving) he will actually turn to keep his back toward you, even if he has to walk backward until you pass. My kids call him "Avoiding-eye-contact man", and the guy you write about we call "Looking-at-you man". It is uncanny, but every time you see him, he will be looking directly into your face, across two or three lanes of traffic. I've never seen it fail, and we look for him every time we are driving that way. If I ever see him at the gas station or something, I am going to introduce myself.

Nick made it a point to talk with the other guy, who he said didn't want to talk at all. Nick spoke to him, and he asked Nick "Do I know you", almost threatening. Nick got him to speak a little, and he asked him his name. The guy said "Strong". Apparently he IS strong, and bench presses about 500 lbs or so, but has some serious social problems. Anyway, I think it is on point that Nick had to reach out to him with some effort, but he has now opened up slightly and will hold a conversation. It just takes a little effort....

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Keith said...

The guy's name is Lee Reed and he is a Searcy Fireman. Nicest guy you will ever meet(duh!)I met him when I was at Ridout Lumber...Phil Watkins, I believe, introduced me to him and everytime I see him I get the "full body" greeting, complete with sincere smile, eyebrows raised showing gladness to see me, most of the time both arms waving, head bobbing. I wonder how many people like you, me, and Don he has influenced for good by helping kick-start our day with a simple gesture of kindness. Ironically, could there be a more appropriate time of day and place where that expression of happiness is needed most? Rush hour traffic at 7:45-8:15! Tempers flaring, horns honking, accidents waiting to happen. I'm with you Herbie. Keep walking Lee. You jumpstart my day.
Keith

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

gucci, pandora charms, louboutin, ugg, baseball bats, moncler, canada goose, parajumpers, lancel, canada goose, wedding dresses, links of london, rolex watches, moncler, air max, ugg, moncler, toms shoes, hollister, pandora jewelry, moncler, oakley, ralph lauren, pandora charms, swarovski, ray ban, moncler outlet, converse, swarovski crystal, converse shoes, hollister, montre homme, iphone 6 cases, timberland boots, hollister clothing store, supra shoes, karen millen, juicy couture outlet, air max, moncler, vans, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo, moncler, coach outlet store online

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

air jordan shoes for sale
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren outlet
mac cosmetics
nike free
michael kors handbags
cyber monday deals
true religion outlet
ferragamo outlet
nfl jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
polo ralph lauren
ugg outlet store
air max shoes
mbt shoes outlet
michael kors outlet
parajumpers outlet
snow boots
air force 1 shoes
burberry outlet store
mm1223

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

reebok outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
nike blazer pas cher
supra shoes sale
cheap jordans
christian louboutin outlet
golden state warriors jerseys
ugg boots
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors uk
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home