Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tommie Smith and John Carlos

If you have to ask somebody who those guys are, no need to read any further. If you remember these two track stars and the Mexico City Olympics of 1968, I have a couple of questions for you. A) What did you think of their actions on the medal stand at the time?, and B) Has your perspective on that night or those athletes changed any?

I'll give you my take after I hear yours. What made me think of them? Two things.
One, they were on the ESPY's the other night. Two, "Sports Illustrated" did an article on them recently.

I still can't believe that it's been FORTY YEARS since I watched on our black and white TV those 68 Olympics sitting on my living floor in Sheffield, Alabama. The only race I really cared about was the 1,500 meters (mile run) and cheering for Jim Ryun. Yeah, that's another post for another day.

68.......never been another year like it.

6 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Blogger That Girl said...

Ahhh... '68 - I would've just turned 5. Those were the days!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger That Girl said...

Actually, Dwight Stones and Bruce Jenner were the first olympic athletes that I remember. They came soon after your guys.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger lisa b said...

You're right about '68 because that's the year I was born. :-)

Claiming that as my year of birth has given me a strange fascination with all things hippie and social revolution. It was a very good year for those.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger jhp said...

David - our next door neighbor will be running in this year's Olympics. Her name is Kara Goucher, and she will be running the 10K and 5K. We went down to Eugene to cheer her on in the Olympic Trials. She finished 2nd in the 10K and 1st in the 5K. Go Kara!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

A) I didn't understand it then.

B) I don't understand it now.

I've never been black, and I don't have a clue what it's like to be black. I think in 1968 every belief and concept and perception was up for grabs, due for re-evaluation.

If my world from childhood had looked upon me as inferior, sub-human, and all of the other prejudicial cliches of dimwitted people in 1968, I might have thrust an in-your-face gesture at it in a moment of triumph, too.

I dunno.

I might have done worse than that.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

tiffany and co outlet
adidas nmd online
longchamp le pliage
longchamp handbags
tiffany and co jewellery
hermes belts for men
michael kors factory outlet
longchamp outlet
adidas superstar shoes
adidas tubular
gg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home