Friday, June 06, 2008

What Does the Lord Require of You?

I am sure all of you recognize that question from the great trial in Micah chapter 6.
Israel was on trial, and the Lord had laid out all of it's transgressions and sins.
To make things right again and gain redemption, Israel wanted to know what sacrifice would wipe away it's wrongs...........it's many many wrongs. "With what shall I come before the Lord and bow down before the exalted God?" Israel asked. Would calves be enough? How about rams, thousands of them? Not good enough? Ok, how's this.........I will offer my first born, the "fruit of my body".

Truth was, no sacrifice was good enough, big enough, expensive enough, or personal enough. At least no sacrifice of ours.

With God's leading, Micah understood this. The prophet answers the people of Israel this way: "He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To ACT JUSTLY, and to LOVE MERCY, and to WALK HUMBLY with your God".

From where I am sitting, my take is that we STILL are having a hard time getting our arms around those 3 heart issues. I know I am. How you making out in those areas?
I have to figure the admonition to "Fix your eyes on Jesus" was a way to lead us to being these 3 things better than we are on our own.

Have you ever known or been around anybody that lived those 3 blessings better than HIM? Anybody love justice more, anybody more forgiving, or anybody even come close to being as humble?

It just keeps coming back to Jesus, doesn't it? Not to anything.........ANYTHING else. Jesus is enough.

4 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

In a meeting of my LIFE Group a couple of weeks ago, I realized that the cross is where mercy and justice come together.

Justice says, "They have sinned. They deserve to die."

Mercy says, "I will die for them."

So Jesus walks humbly with His God to that place where love and righteousness lead Him.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, David. Remember this phrase: "By grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone"?

Sometimes it's just hard for us to leave the saving to Christ, isn't it.

Thanks for your thoughts. ~Kathy S

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Good thoughts.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Thanks for this post. You know that verse means a lot to me, and always will.

Buddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home