Friday, April 25, 2008

Steve Forbes and Pepperdine

Our final speaker this year involving our "American Studies Institute" program was Steve Forbes. My expectations weren't all that high, but I have to say I was very impressed with what he had to say. No, he's not the most charismatic speaker I have ever heard, but he's very easy to listen to. I am no economist, but I like it when people talk to you in a simple, personal, down to earth way. Forbes does that. I know he is a zillionaire........but he comes across as a guy you would have a conversation with in the barber shop. I like the guy. Some of you might find it shocking that he had some negative things to say about President Bush's policies, and he praised some of Bill Clinton's economic policies! He also had NOTHING positive to say about our present Internal Revenue Service or the current tax codes.
As you probably know, he's a "flat tax" guy......and he sold me on it in about 5 minutes last night. Kudos to the ASI folks for bringing in Forbes. Someday maybe I will be able to afford to subscribe to his magazine!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's that time of year again........Pepperdine Bible Lectures. It's been a blessing to me for several years now, and I am sure it will be again! Harding is well represented amongst the Key-note speakers, as Don McLaughlin, Randy Harris, and Gary Selby are all doing presentations. There are only 7 total key-notes, so I think that is pretty telling. Out of the 4 or 5 thousand people there, we will have several hundred there with Harding connections, and most of them will show up for our HU Reception on Thursday evening. If you are attending for the first time, join us in the Hahn Fireside room after Gary Selby's key-note! You'll love reconnecting with old friends and classmates, and the pie ain't too bad either.
See you there!

10 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger shannon said...

Long time, no see. welcome back to bloggerhood.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Mark Elrod said...

I'm a little surprised to hear that you favor a flat tax.

It's my understanding that a flat tax would greatly reduce contributions to non-profit organizations like Harding.

Granted, it wouldn't affect all of our contributors but I'm sure there are a few who no longer have an incentive to give us money if the tax benefit were eliminated.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

I'm going to miss you guys at Pepperdine this year. With Nate's graduation and end of the year stuff ...... At least we had Tulsa! Have fun! Maybe next year.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger David U said...

Mark, VERY few of our donors are motivated to contribute to Harding
because of how it affects their taxes. Personally, I don't know any donor who gives because of taxes.

My take is the flat tax would free up MORE resources for the individuals to give to Harding, or any other charitable cause they wanted to give to.

Thanks for your comment, brother!
DU

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been intrigued by Steve Forbes. A lot of what he says makes sense.

Wish I could get out to Pepperdine this year -- one of my preaching buddies is teaching a class. But I just can't swing it.

Have a great time!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

David,
Just wanted to tell you I'm reading a very detailed biography on Bear, "The Last Coach" ...

Have you read it? I got it at the public library here. Pretty interesting stuff.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Royce Ogle said...

David,

I too have great respect for Forbes. I didn't vote for him but do like many of his ideas. So far as the flat tax idea, it is far better than what we have. The "Fair Tax" is far, far better. It make more sense than any other I have seen.

We are the only country on earth where dead beats are rewarded and the successful are punished. I tend to agree with Michael Savage, "Liberalism is a mental disorder".

Have a ball on the far coast.

Royce

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

What is flat tax?

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

longchamp outlet
nike air max
tory burch outlet online
michael kors online outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
tory burch outlet
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses sale
ray ban outlet
oakley outlet store
louis vuitton outlet store
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses
toms outlet
cyber monday 2015
true religion uk outlet
louis vuitton,borse louis vuitton,louis vuitton sito ufficiale,louis vuitton outlet
air jordan 11
cheap oakley sunglasses
hermes birkin bag
mm1223

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger omar ail said...


Your site is very helpful
https://oali78313.wixsite.com/website
http://publish.lycos.com/noranamro
https://antiinsectsss.blogspot.com.eg/
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/
http://alalamiahh.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home