Monday, April 14, 2008

Book Review

I just wanted to share with you some books that I have read within the last few months. Please share with me any that you might want to suggest for me to read. I like to keep 2 or 3 in the wings.

A) "The Shack" by William P Young: This book was all the rage when I got it a month or so back. I am not a big fan of fiction spiritual books, but enough people that I respect had told me about it that I decided to go ahead and read it. I'm glad that I did! I sure appreciate Young's perspective of God, Christ, and the Spirit. I won't give the book away, but it's for sure a tear jerker. If you are a fan of spiritual fiction books, then I for sure recommend this one. For what it's worth, it's not a long book to read.

B) "Jesus For President" by Shane Claiborne: I can't envision a more appropriate book (outside of the Bible of course) considering we are in the throws of a Presidential race. VERY VERY timely book. I appreciate Shane's heart SO SO very much. He's an inspiration to me, and I know many of you also. I very much consider him a modern day prophet. I already felt that way, but hearing him in person sealed the deal for me. I don't agree with all of his perspectives in this book, and that is ok. I for SURE agree with most of them. I question a few of the stats he gives concerning the war in Iraq, but those can be verified......and I plan to try and do that. Still, I think EVERY Christian should read "Jesus For President" during this election season.

C) "Pagan Christianity" by George Barna and Frank Viola: I had not read a Viola book before this, but Barna impacted me so much with "Revolution" that I will always try to read ANY book he is involved with. Ok, this book should be required reading for............EVERY Christian!! Instead, it will probably be banned by a lot of the institutional religious folks. This is one of those "I am going to have to read this a second time just to make sure I get what they are saying" kind of books. Most people don't like hearing facts that point out that a lot of their practices are closer tied to paganism than the Bible and early Christianity. Yeah....tough stuff to read, and even more to accept. One thing I like is that at the end of every chapter they answer some really pointed, specific, hard questions. Get this book!

Isn't reading great? Movies are wonderful, but they just can't do what books can.
I saw "the Kite Runner" this weekend, and it was a SUPER movie........but it just can't measure up to the book. That's my opinion, anyway.

God is seen very vividly this time of year on our campus! The Dogwoods and Azaleas are almost indescribable. What a blessing.

Thank you Father, for letting us see a small glimpse of your beauty!

8 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy who is teaching my class on Revelation is reading Pagan Christianity and he can't say enough good about it. Is this the second version or is he just reading it for the second time? He mentioned something about the original version or something.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger David U said...

Viola had an earlier edition, then Barna came on board and helped him redo it. I have not read the original done alone by Viola.

Good to see you this weekend!
DU

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

David,
Thanks for the wonderful book reviews brother.
Your blog is such a fantastic one. One of my favs.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite book du jour is "The Irrational Atheist" by Vox Day. After reading six atheist books and four books answering them, I found this one -- and it is excellent.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Still waiting for Amazon to come across with my copy of Viola/Barna - looking forward to it!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

David,
I hope you had a wonderful earth day brother.
God bless all you do and the difference you make in the lives of those who read your blog everyday!
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David - I appreciate the heads-up on the books...looks like I have some reading to do...

Have a great night.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

mulberry outlet,mulberry handbags outlet
prada outlet online
ferragamo outlet
coach outlet online
chanel outlet store
kate spade uk outlet
black friday 2015
ralph lauren outlet
discount ugg boots
cheap football shirts
lebron shoes
discount oakley sunglasses
polo shirts
kobe bryants shoes
designer handbags,handbags outlet,cheap handbags,purses and handbags,wholesale handbags,designer bags,bags outlet,handbags wholesale,cheap purses,discount handbags,handbags sale,wholesale purses,handbags and purses,designer purses
ugg boots sale
rolex watches
moncler jackets
oakley sunglasses wholesale
nike foamposite
mm1223

 

Post a Comment

<< Home