Sunday, April 29, 2007

Our Weekend


We have had a VERY blessed weekend at Downtown! Rick Atchley spoke twice on Saturday, and four times this morning. He still has one gig to do...............he is speaking to the University students that come for the 8:30 communion service tonight. Whatever we are paying him, he's getting ripped off. It's been invaluable.

When I hear Rick, these five characteristics about him leave a lasting impression.

A) His humbleness. I know a lot of people with a lot less talent that he has who have a much bigger ego. In fact, I haven't seen him show ANY ego. What a model for our younger generation!

B) His passion! You don't have to wonder how Rick feels about something..........he is passionate in his faith walk. How refreshing. I know a lot of people who seem to only get passionate about sports. No, that's wrong. They get passionate about one other thing................religious traditions.

C) His boldness. God has not called us to a spirit of timidity, and you can tell he believes that........because he practices it. This one may be tied in with passion, but I really think they are two different qualities. Rick is not going to let fear control his life. I know he fears God, but I am not aware of any other fear he has.

D) His heart of grace. Jim Woodroof said "Jesus is grace with clothes on it". I see Rick trying to walk in the Savior's steps in everything, but especially in the area of grace. As much as he is attacked, heaven knows he gets more opportunities than most of us to offer grace. I've yet to see him fail to do so.

E) His love for the Lord and the church. It exudes from his heart every time I hear him speak. He loves God, he loves our Savior Jesus Christ, and he loves the bride of Christ.......the church. He loves other Christians, hence his untiring efforts for unity.

I praise God for the talented evangelists He has given to our generation. No doubt, Rick Atchley is one of those!

Thanks Rick for pouring out your heart to us this weekend. We love you for it!

8 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Joice Family said...

I have not heard Rick since he did the gospel meeting at the college church back when I was a student. I remember loving him back then and so I went to hear him this year at the Tulsa Workshop but due to a death in his family he had to cancel. I miss hearing the great evangelists (Rick, Don, and even Walling in the past)that come to Searcy and make me think.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I've been praying for his weekend there--I am so thankful you enjoyed it!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Amen. I was filled to capacity at the end of yesterday for having digested the feast Rick shared with us. Can't wait to continue sharing with him at Pepperdine.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I'm nothing if not organized... my schedule says that I am to attend the Wednesday morning session with Rick Atchley.

You know what? I might just abandon my plans and fly by the seat of my pants!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Rick is, indeed, a good and great man. I am glad that he blessed you and the congregation there this weekend.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Royce Ogle said...

Just last week I listened to an online message from 1 Ephesians 1 titled "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered". Rick was completely biblical, and the other characteristics you mentioned could not be missed.

I'll take one like him for any 10 of his detractors any day of the week.

My hope is that more and more of our men go back to the Bible and teach it rather than tradition.

Grace to you,
Royce

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Matt said...

He is a really gifted speaker. I am glad to hear things are going well at Downtown.

 
At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick is one of th greatest preachers I have ever heard. He has very deep insights and always gives me new understandings. I am grateful for the opportunity to listen to a passionate preacher and especially thankful for one speaks the truth clearly. Rick is not afraid to speak to the issues our beloved children need to hear. Keep proclaiming Christ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home