Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's Still True Today

I went back this morning to see when the anniversary of my first post was. It's almost been 3 years of blogging now.........the first one was in May of 2004. WOW! Time flies when you are having fun. I went ahead and read some of those earlier post, and ran across this one. I am even more passionate about this three years later. See if you agree.


Morgan Freeman
If you get TBS or TNT, you have probably seen "Shawshank Redemption" more times than Jennifer Lopez and Elizabeth Taylor have been married. It's kinda like watching Andy Griffith in that you KNOW what is going to happen, but you have to watch it anyway. Morgan Freeman, playing the part of "Red", has one of my favorite lines in the movie. Red: "These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That's INSTITUTIONALIZED. They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts, anyways." The part of that quote that comes at me like neon lights is when he says that you can get to where you DEPEND on the walls of an institution, and because of that dependence, have your life taken away from you. Any life you feel you have because of an institution is not REAL LIFE. You are settling for a Zircon stone when HE wants you to have the real Diamond. John 14:6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the LIFE. No man comes to the father except through me." I hope you never feel like Red. I did once, but I don't ever plan on feeling institutionalized again. Why would I want to go back to Cubic Zirconia when I have the Diamond?

6 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawshank is one of my favorite movies and I agree with your thoughts about depending on a certain life. I learned about 10 years ago to depend on nothing in this life but God. He's always been faithful

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I agree with the thought about being "institutionalized". I won't let it happen to me again either!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We keep building bigger and bigger walls.

Interesting take at:

http://www.fluidfaith.org/

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Purgatory Penman said...

I guess we all appreciate the movie "Shawshank Redemption." I analyze the concept of instutionalization on my blog purgatorypenman.blogspot.com Visit me there. I would love to converse with you on the idea.
Better still, write me at P.O. Box 40543, Memphis, TN 38174-0543.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I didn't see that film. I was still overseas and poor as a preacher on Saturday so even if it made it to the Scottish isles I wouldn't have had the bits and bobs to see it.

Still... I get the drift of your blog and agree with it. As always, my friend.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger One Observationist said...

Institionalized. I have been on a long personal journey to rip myself away from the institutional aspects of religion. It hasn't been easy. It is a very comfortable way to live life and sometimes I wonder if the current organizational structure of the purposely supports the members in relying on the institution. At least the small group sessions can help us break out of that mold.

Great movie. Thanks for the thoughts.
Jeremy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home