Sunday, April 15, 2007

Harmony Part III

Sorry this is late in coming. Seems like I have more to do than I can get done. Having two weddings coming up, Spring Sing, Easter, Rick Atchley weekend, and then trying to work can get in the way of blogging. Plus, you folks are way ahead of me on this anyway. The day I thought of this "Harmony" theme, I was driving down the road listening to some beautiful harmonies coming from my car radio. I happened to think about what maybe God considers to be beautiful music. I couldn't help but think that when we LIVE in harmony, it must be a beautiful sound not only to His ears.........but to His whole being also. When we argue, fight, disassociate, speak bad of, act judgementally, or just plain ole don't get along.........it has to be like those sounds that hurt our ears to Him. The fingernails across the blackboard kind of sound. But even more important than that, it breaks His heart. No, it really does. You want to really hurt the Father? Say something negative about one of His children. You want to really please the Father? Love somebody and everybody. Nothing earth shattering new in this post............no WOW factor at all. But try living it. If you are successful, then you can give yourself a WOW!! :) Our community is going to be testing this in the next few weeks with Rick Atchley coming. I have already heard some outrageously negative comments. Fingernails on the ole chalkboard kind of talk. It makes me sad. I know it makes Him even sadder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig Jones called me Wednesday and told me that his Jan has pancreatic cancer. Jan whipped breast cancer 15 years ago or so, and we are praying that she can whip this also. Please keep Craig, Jan, Rees, and Elaine in your prayers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to attend the debate on campus this past week concerning "Just War vs Pacifism".
Mark Elrod and a student took the "pacifist" position while Kevin Klein and another student took the "just war" view. I went in with some convictions of my own, and I left the debate with my same convictions. I believe this is a Romans 14 issue..................I will have my convictions and hold to them strongly with a clear conscience, but I don't have the right to bind those convictions on you. I am to respect your view and convictions, as you equally respect mine.
I will tell you that I was VERY impressed with one really important aspect of the debate...........and that is the respect that each participant showed for the participants who were taking the opposite position. It was really amazing, and I appreciate so much the humble spirit that was shown to all those in attendance, most of which were college students. I don't know if the students will remember much about the arguments made, but my guess is they will always remember the respect and humble spirit of the participants. Thanks guys for that example!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitting the road this week............Central Oklahoma and South-Central Oklahoma. One of these days I am going to stop and take a picture of me beside the exit to Duncan, my birthplace. My dad was preaching at Comanche at the time. Do you know who else was born in Duncan? Come back and find out! :) Whoever guesses it wins the prize..............strawberry short-cake from the Bulldog in Bald Knob!!!!!!!

Have a great week! Two weeks and two days till Pepperdine 2007! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!

15 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for including our family for prayers through your blog. God is good. "Blessed by Your name, when I'm found in the desert place, 'though I walk through the wilderness, blessed be Your name."

And on your question of the day - is it CARRIE Underwood? The famous one? No, hold on...is it Mickey Mantle?

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I should know a lot of near-famous people that were born in Duncan--I was born down the road in Shawnee!

I got on your church's website and figured Atchley is going to be away on April 28--this must be a huge thing for him--he doesn't do that many weekend events. Sorry you've heard some negative about him--he will be so missed at home I know!

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is it Opie? (Ron Howard)

The news about Jan struck me to the core. I went on to our bible class, but I have no idea what we talked about. Candice and I have begun what will become regular prayers for Jan.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLEASE do not equate convictions about an issue with a lack of love!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

You're either referring to Ron Howard (as mentioned above) or Hoyt Axton.

Is there a runner-up prize?

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger David U said...

Anon, I wasn't aware I had done that. Some of the most loving people I have ever known had very strong convictions.

DU

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger David U said...

By the way....congrats Bobby!!! :)
Let me know when you want to go the big metropolis of BK, and we will be on our way.

I know Craig appreciates your prayers for Jan.

DU

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be having an instrumental service at Downtown when Rick Atchley is there like they do at Richland Hills where he preaches?

From the Christian Chronicle: "The Richland Hills church in Texas — the largest of the nation’s 13,000 a cappella Churches of Christ — has decided to add an instrumental worship assembly with communion on Saturday nights."

Harding had the good sense to cancel Ann Coulter. As a parent of a Harding student, I hope you have the same good sense to cancel Atchley.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger David U said...

Anon, first of all........why do you have to hide behind the "anonymous" blanket? I guess I will have to be forced to do what other bloggers have had to do, and only allow comments with names. I don't mind ANYBODY commenting on my blog........but I expect people to be transparent and not hide behind the "anonymous" heading.

Downtown will not be having an instrumental service. I had a hard time following your last sentence. HARDING is not having Rick Atchley......Downtown is.

Don't look for any cancellations.

Hope to see you there....whoever you are.

In HIM,
DU

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger dutro said...

We're not having an instrumental service?

Atchley is not coming to discuss Richland Hills' latest changes, nor advocating for any changes anywhere else. He is coming as a guest speaker, and I believe his message will be on helping us reach out and point others to Jesus. That's the important part, isn't it?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Dirk said...

As a passionate believer/disciple of our Lord Jesus Christ, Jesus and nothing else is the all-consuming passion of your life. I will now steal a quote from a great book I'm now reading thanks to you DU - The Barbarian Way. "They (disciples of Jesus/barbarians) are not about religion or position. They have little patience for institutions or bureaucracies. Their lack of respect for tradition or ritual makes them seem uncivilized to those who love religion...they're not about religion; they're about advancing the revolution Jesus started two thousand years ago." This, I believe, is why "anonymous" is threatened and feels we (Downtown CofC) should cancel Rick's visit. Very, very sad.

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

I'm really just curious - and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way - but, as "the wife of a board member" ... have you or your husband ever asked the administration about Mike Cope/Jeff Walling, etc., not being invited to speak on campus? I'd think a board member could get the answer most of us are wondering about.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

I always find it interesting that we yell about church autonomy all the time. Then when another church has even a hint of something "we" may not agree with, we holler to high heaven. There's something hypocritical about that approach. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I do, however, often wonder when we get to heaven, what's going to be really important. I thought Paul said it was the cross. I'm sure Rick will be preaching Jesus and Him crucified. I wish I could be there to hear him.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
cheap michael kors handbags
ugg boots
longchamp
longchamp handbags
basketball shoes
new england patriots jerseys
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
cleveland cavaliers jersey
2017.6.14

 

Post a Comment

<< Home