Saturday, March 31, 2007

Harmony Part I

I am not sure where the Spirit is going to lead me in this discussion, but I felt it's push to post about this topic. If the Spirit leads this discussion, I know it will be one that blesses me. I hope it blesses you also.

Is there anything more beautiful about music than harmony? I'm not sure there is, but then again, I am not exactly the one to be talking about the ins and outs of everything musical. I sang in the Mars Hill chorus for several years, and of course you have to consider I have been singing in church since day one. I love the history of singing in our fellowship. I can't imagine the singing being better ANYWHERE! I am also blessed to get to hear the unbelieveable singing of our college students here at Harding. It's off the charts. Going back to my musical abilities.......or lack of...........I also learned to play the guitar a few years ago. Well, "play" may be giving me too much credit. I can strum most of the basic chords and play along to most country songs. My good friends Craig Jones, Jimmy Behel, Chuck Hicks, Ken Pulley, Don Eudaly, Klay Bartee, Tom Alexander and some folks I am probably leaving out helped me tremendously in learning to play. We used to get together one Sunday night a month to play, and I still miss those fun nights. Several of us formed a little group and we even got a few gigs there for a while. American Bandstand was on the horizon! :) Sorry for that tangent, but I wanted you to know my musical pedigree. Do you have to be a great musician to appreciate beautiful harmony? I sure hope not........and I don't think you do.

Before I close this portion, I want to give you some of my favorite harmonies that I have come to appreciate over the years. I LOVE all kinds of music!! When I think of harmony, this is what comes to mind for me:

At the very top, it has to be "Pure Praire League" singing "Amie"! I don't think I could EVER get tired of hearing them sing those beautiful harmonies with the acoustical instruments in the background. How about these others?

Crosby, Stills, and Nash singing "Suite Judy Blue Eyes". Or really, CSN singing ANYTHING!
Hey, I even enjoy Neil Young joining em.

Eddie Kendrick and "The Temptations" singing "Just My Imagination". Does that ever get old?

We didn't get to hear them together enough, but James Taylor and Carole King harmonized on several songs in the early 70's. One being "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". I'll never get tired of hearing those two beautiful voices together.

Another harmony from the mid 70's was Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway with songs like "Where is the Love". Snuggling music at it's best! :)

How about Simon and Garfunkel? "The Sounds of Silence"........those two guys were put on this planet to harmonize with each other. Both have been successful alone, but not to the degree they were together. I loved it when they went on concert together a couple of years ago.

How about the Motown sound of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell? If she hadn't passed on at such a young age, they may have gone on to have been the greatest duet of all time! Their harmonies were glorious.

Have you heard Natalie Cole harmonize with her golden throated dad Nat on "Unforgettable"?
He may have had the most beautiful singing voice of any male in history, and to hear them sing together is a musical feast.

The Beatles. Period.........nough said. The greatest band of all time, with two geniuses writing the lyrics and harmonies. Probably three geniuses.

Ahhh.........you didn't think I could leave out African music did you? :) Have you heard "Ladysmith Black Mambazo" sing? Those guys bring my eyes to tears just about everytime I hear them. I can't imagine the angels being able to harmonize any better than those guys do.
They also remind me of the most beautiful singing I have EVER heard in my life..........yeah, I mean EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........and that is the singing by Christians in Nigeria. I am going to sit in the Nigerian corner of Heaven just so I can hear those folks 24/7 for eternity!
I'll save you a seat if you like.


Ok, there are some of my favorite musical harmonies. Do they effect you like they do me? I just can't get enough of them. I gotta believe it's one of God's greatest gifts, but let's save that for the next post. Tell me your favorite harmonies. I left PLENTY on the table for you to grab up........and I can't wait to hear about them!

17 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Ever hear Alison Kraus and Vince Gill together? Look for High Lonesome Sound on iTunes.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "More Than Words" by Extreme? Their harmonies and the lovely twelve string guitar are amazing.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I think the Eagles did pretty well by "Seven Bridges Road."

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Anything by Restless Heart. "The Bluest Eyes in Texas" is just one their good ones. The Gatlin Brothers. Chicago. Well, I guess you can't really count Chicago. I just didn't want everything to think I was a country music geek.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Ooooh... lots of good answers to this one. A song that comes to my mind is an old Dan Fogelberg tune on his "The Innocent Age" album.... "Only the Heart May Know." He and Emmylou Harris sounded heavenly on it. Emmylou sounds good with everybody.

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beautiful close harmony of Tillit S Teddlie songs...simple, pure, uplifting...knowing the musician/author was a bonus...he loved children and loved to teach them to sing. Beautiful music/ beautiful man!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger dutro said...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really like There's an Old Flame Burning In Your Eyes, by Alabama, simply for it's chord progression and harmonies.

O Sacred Head was written by Bernard of Clairvaux, with music by Hans Hassler, but credit for harmonizing is given to Johann S. Bach. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that. There are 11 verses to the poem, though we are used to seeing only two or three in hymnals.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

I am not a big country music fan...but I love to hear Tim McGraw and Faith Hill sing It's Your Love....I think because you know they mean it and their voices sound great together.

Other than that I can only hear Seven Bridges Road since Keith mentioned it....LOVE that song!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger David U said...

I meant to also include two songs by Diamond Rio! How could I have left out "Meet in the Middle" and also "Night is Falling in My Heart"? Those guys know how to harmonize. "One More Day" would probably need to be included with the other two also. Not bad for some Lipscomb boys!

DU

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Dude, did you clean out a closet or your attic over the weekend? I KNOW those groups and titles aren't retained that readily in your grey matter! Good list. When I thing of pure harmony, the Oakridge Boys come to mind. Also Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody-pure hard rock genius.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I mean "think" about it. Don't know how to use the eraser on this keyboard.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the most beautiful harmony is when people of different color, income, education, theology, etc. agree that they will value each other because they all stand under the cross of Jesus and they want him to be honored more than they want anything else.

Oops. Wrong kind of harmony. In that case, got to be some of those old "Time of Day" groups. How about it Don?

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Bobby Cohoon said...

You brought back some memories with these. I have always been a bluegrass picker and harmony is something I grew up with.

Bobby

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me think of Kenny Barfield who I haven't thought of in YEARS!

Ummm... I think I like more recent songs but I do like that Seven Bridges Road song and anything by Diamond Rio.

Vince Gill is good.

I don't think Three Doors Down really fits in this category.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the Osmond Family and the Lennon Sisters....?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Flipping around the dial on my XM radio today, I landed on the Bee Gees singing "Run to Me." Nice... Yeah, I'm a nerd.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

new york knicks jersey
true religion jeans
cheap uggs
broncos jerseys
jaguars jersey
valentino shoes
air jordan 4
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
coach factory outlet
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home