Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Book Reports & Other Thangs

Because Chris Smith talked about how it impacted his life so greatly, I wanted to read A Testament of Devotion by Thomas Kelly. It is a really rich, deep book about the Spiritual Disciplines. It will go on your shelf beside your Richard Foster and Dallas Willard books. It's not my favorite kind of book to read, but I know I NEED to read them more than I do. You can pick it up really cheap on-line at Amazon, and no doubt you will be blessed by it.

Rob Bell has a new book out............Sex God. No joke. I read it in 3 sittings. I really liked Velvet Elvis, but this book WAY WAY surpasses it........in my opinion. I have two boys getting married in less than 3 months, and I am going to insist they both read this book! The section he does on "submission" is the best material I have EVER read on that topic, and second place is no where in sight. Rob is an amazing speaker, producer of videos, and I think his writing is off the charts. This is not like your everyday discussion on sex and marriage, and I wish I had been able to read it prior to September of 1977. I hope I would have been a better husband for it. Pick it up at any bookstore, and give me your feedback on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I found out this past weekend that Paden Timms, who is the son of one of my closest and dearest friends Tony Timms, will be shipped to Iraq sometime in late summer or early fall. Paden, Tony and I were talking about it and Paden said something that had a familiar ring to it. He said: The Marines prepare us to go and die..............that is the best way to make sure we come back alive. Dying so you can really live..........and abundantly. Who would have ever thought of that concept?!? Please remember Tony, Katrina, and especially Paden in your prayers. Remember ALL our service folks in your prayers, please.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is redundant I know, but check out Patrick Mead's latest post on "Joy". The guy is amazing!

http://www.patrickmead.net/tentpegs/

-------------------------------------------------------------

I will talk more about unity in some later posts. Thanks for all your comments concerning that topic. I read a recent editorial where the editor talked about "enemies within". I would imagine it would be hard to strive for unity if your perspective was that the folks you wanted to have unity with were your enemies........adversaries of God. Your thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Better than Velvet Elvis? I can't wait! Thanks for the heads-up that the new Rob Bell book was out, David. I read VE almost one year ago last week on a plane from San Antonio, Texas.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger lisacarol said...

Thanks David for writing about my blog on yours. I've had some visitors come and that's been so sweet and encouraging. Thanks also for your continued prayers!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Keith said...

If I'm in a foxhole, I want Payden in there with me. The dude is intense and knows his stuff. I believe he could make a gernade out of duct tape and a toothpick. All I know is when his feet hits the desert sand, all Shiities will break loose! He and Tony and 'Trina will be in my prayers. He's a good soldier.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I was hesitant about that book--but if you recommend it--well, it must be good.

I just finished "Irresistible Revolution"--that you recommended--lots of interesting things to think about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home