Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tulsa Time

It was a blessing to get to spend some time with Donnie Mclaughlin this week. Every time I am around him, I am amazed all over again..............he's like the Eveready Bunny in that he goes ninety to nothin ALL the time. Every single student who asks for his time gets it. Why? Because each one is very important to him. I don't know how he does it. Both of his chapel talks this week were really good, and I would say he JACKED Thursday's talk out of the park. It centered on the Cross, and the love of Jesus. If you get a hankerin to listen to it, contact our HU Media center and order the CD. That number is 279-4353.

One evening Craig Jones and I went with him to grab a bite to eat in-between appointments. While visiting, he said he had intentionally been doing a certain thing (he can tell you what it is if he wants to) in his quiet time, and then made this statement: "I don't think I can make it any other way". That was very encouraging for me to hear, because sometimes you perceive somebody like Don as having it all together, and for sure not on the verge of cashing it all in. What a wonderful reminder that we ALL are in this together, and that we ALL struggle in our walk from time to time. Yeah, even the Don Mclaughlins of the world.

Thanks Donnie, for being so transparent................and for being the humble servant you are!
I love you much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headed to Tulsa this week. They are getting a reprieve from the ice and snow that has bombared them this January. I don't think you could convince any of those folks or the folks in Colorado about any of the "global warming" stuff. They are praying for Spring to hurry up and get here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent in the registration forms for the Pepperdine Lectures this week. Looks like we could have around 15 folks with Harding ties staying in the same condos this year. Can you say "NO SLEEP"? We had around 130 or so folks at our Harding Reception last year, and we are looking to have an even bigger crowd this year. If you are going, make plans to come by and have a piece of pie and see some old friends on Thursday night. I have seen the schedule for the key-note speakers, and I know that they will all be a blessing to hear..........but I gotta admit ahead of time that I am biased, and that I bet Monte Cox will blow away the 4 to 5 thousand folks that he addresses in his key-note talk! Monte is an amazing speaker, and I am glad that he will be representing HU at these lectures. He is a blessing to us on a daily basis! I wish all of you could come. It's always the first week of May, so plan ahead some year to be with us. I asked Ken Cope not long ago if he would be there again, and I will never forget his answer: "David, as long as I am alive, I am going to be at the Pepperdine Lectures. It's the closest thing to Heaven that I know of for me." Ditto for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm taking Manning and the Colts in the Super Bowl. What say you? It won't hurt my feelings no matter who wins. Keep an eye on my boy Mark Anderson for the Bears, a rookie from Alabama. He's made a big splash in his first year in THE league. Speaking of Alabama and sports, is it time for Spring football practice yet? Jeez, the basketball team is killing me. Stick a fork in them, cause I think they are done. Can you spell N-I-T?

5 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

"I don't think I can make it any other way".
That is sooo good!
Enjoy Tulsa!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Have fun in Oklahoma dude. I hated missing Don but duty called and couldn't get away from the grindstone. I'll listen to the CD. Pepperdine-I can't wait! Enuf said. Hoyt to what Mr. Cope said. Colts by a touchdown. Grossman's good but he's no Manning.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Oh yea, Hogs have swept all Bama schools in football and basketball this season. Just an interesting tidbit......

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Tulsa -- great memories!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

And to think, just two months ago, we were thanking God for the Alabama basketball team.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home