Monday, December 11, 2006

Heart Cath, Micah Gifford, and Sweet Miss Polly

Well, I had an exciting week last week! I flew out to San Diego on Sunday, and by Tuesday morning I knew I needed to come home. My chest had been really tight and burning, with shootings of pain from time to time........soooooo, I didn't want to get caught 1,800 miles from home in a hospital in California. I flew home Tuesday and ended up in White County Hospital that evening. Dr Leon Blue did a heart cath on me Wed. afternoon, and I came home that evening. Everything looked good, so now after the first of the year we will look for other sources of causing the pain. He thinks it may be associated with sleep apnea. Hello sleeping with a mask every night! That should enhance my love life quite a bit......having my face covered up. :) Anyway, thanks for the visits and emails..............and more importantly, your prayers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was bound to happen sooner of later. A friend has been killed in Iraq. Micah Gifford was a teammate of Matt's on the Bison football team at Harding. If you spent any time around the team, you had to know Micah. He was a cut-up, and just oozing with personality. You could see the mischief in his eyes! But, I could tell Micah had a good heart, and I loved him. I grieve with all the Bisons who played with him, and of course his family in California. I pray for peace in Iraq.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A longtime employee of Harding's cafeteria lost her house and all possessions to a fire this weekend. It was a wake-up call for me that my piddly trials are nothing compared to someone else just around the corner. I don't even know Polly's last name, but please keep her family in your prayers. She has worked at Harding since the early 70's. At times like this I wish I was a millionaire, but the question for me is this...............WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH WHAT I DO HAVE? I can't think of a better way for me to use some of my Christmas money. Can you?

8 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God bless you with many more years of service in the kingdom - and bless us with your friendship.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I know this community is going to shower Miss Polly with love. What a tragic thing to happen anytime, much less the holidays. Hope your back is better too. I wrestle with the news of another 20 something year old boy dying for me on foreign soil; anywhere for that matter. God grant his folks a special measure of peace.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Let us know how this pain thing works out, David. My thoughts and prayers are with the young man killed in Iraq and the family left behind. Those in uniform are the best of the best. The loss of any of them touches all of us.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

Brother David I am at once glad and sad for you and your family. I am sad for your loss in the two aquantances one lost and one deminished. and an glad you will not have to go through the pain and suffering of bypass surgery, been there done that, it is not pleasent, but I am very thankful for the last nine years given in this life because of the medical advances. I am not a doctor and don't play one on the internet. I pray your physical problems will be treated and resolved. May God bless

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I am so glad you are doing well. Keep that Razorback off your back and you will be AOK

I am saddened by the loss of life but am also grateful for his willingness to serve us.

I will pray for Polly and her family.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

David, you are in my prayers. This won't stop you from roaming the hills of Malibu in May, will it?

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, thanks for mentioning Micah on your blog. Speaking as a teammate of his, Micah was a genuine soul who loved to make others laugh, and we were a better team for having him on our side. I'm sure he is making an angel laugh right now.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Keith said...

drjimwhite...I think its safe to say that if Malibu broke off from California and floated out to sea, DU would find a way to get there. Me too for that matter. I'll be a sophmore at next years gathering and I'm hooked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home