Saturday, December 02, 2006

St Jude's Marathon, Mike Wade, College Football, and Travel

Congrats to Matt for running in the St. Jude's Marathon today in Memphis. He actually ran a Half-Marathon (13 miles), but that is still a great accomplishment. He ran it in less than 2 hours and never walked........both being really good in my book. WE ARE PROUD OF YOU MATT!!! Sorry we weren't able to make it. I am glad Liz was there with you. You were running for a wonderful group of folks at St. Jude's. The work that they are doing with children who have cancer is amazing. Thank you for caring enough to do that! WODEES!

-----------------------------------------------------

Speaking of family and Memphis, word on the street is that my younger cousin Mike Wade reads my blog as a lurker and won't comment! :) Cuz, I am honored you read my blog, and would be even MORE honored if you would leave a comment from time to time! Mike is the son of my Uncle Cotton and Aunt Mack. Mike probably doesn't know this but I was ALWAYS jealous of him growing up because he lived the closest to my Paw-Paw of any of us grandchildren. Our Paw-Paw was a very special man, and I just wish my two boys could have known him. I still miss Paw-Paw, and he has been gone for almost 40 years now. Mike, please greet all the folks we love at the Germantown church! Hug your family too! Tell your sweet mom and dad hello also.

-----------------------------------------------------

I never posted about Matt and I being at the Bama-Auburn game. We had a BLAST on a gorgeous day for football! The new stadium is unbelieveable, and the crowd was the loudest I have EVER heard it. The statues of the former coaches who have won National Championships at Alabama are something else. We didn't know we were watching the last game in the Mike Shula era at Bama. I have mixed feeling about the firing. I really like him as a person, and he came at a time when there was a LOT of turmoil going on in the Crimson Nation. NCAA Sanctions, coaches leaving, coaches having wild parties and being fired........it was a MESS. So, I appreciate him taking that challenge, and getting the program on solid ground again. I don't think he would have ever been what folks in Alabama want and expect, and I am not sure that person exists. His downfall was the loss to Miss State and the 4 straight losses to that other school in Alabama. If he had won those two games, the discussion never would have come up this year. That's after playing Tennessee, Florida, Arkansas, and LSU ALL on the road. Not too many teams would have signed up for that schedule. The coaching search should get interesting after this weekend. Who do you see coming to coach Bama? I don't envy Mal Moore.

------------------------------------------

I didn't comment on the Brian Mashburn essay in my earlier post. I have read it now probably 5 or 6 times, and I see something new I appreciate each time I read it. I am sure it helps that I know Brian personally, and that I have a feel for his heart. I wish all of you knew him too. He is NOT a trouble maker or a martyr, or even looking for any attention. He is a very humble Christ follower. He is a searcher. He also is a very funny and crazy guy who lives life to it's fullest. I do predict this is NOT the last we will hear from him in the upcoming years. And that will be a blessing for us.

------------------------------------

Tomorrow I am hitting the road probably for the last time before Christmas. I fly into San Diego and fly back out of Burbank on Thursday. I look forward to the weather, scenery, and wonderful folks I will see out there.........but yeah, I dread the 405. I have never, repeat NEVER, driven on it without having to come to a complete stop at some point. Maybe this week will be different! :) Right, and maybe the Iraqi people will quit fighting amongst themselves. Why don't we try sending Jesse and Al Sharpton in that they seem to have the solutions to each and every conflict?

Have a great week!

16 Comments:

At 6:58 AM, Blogger TKP said...

Have you been eating those weird sandwiches you so love lately? I wonder sometimes...

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Bama Coach?

Rich R from WVA seems like the top candidate. I wouldn't rule out the guy at Navy.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

Brother David
are we seeing a blog developing to bash blacks and democrats, here since the election?

Dec 2nd post.
“Why don't we try sending Jesse and Al Sharpton in that they seem to have the solutions to each and every conflict?”

Nov 26th
“Richards was going to have the obligatory visit with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Then he asked a funny but penetrating question............"who do folks go visit after they insult white people?" “

Nov 12th
“Where are all the outcries from Al, Jesse, and Ted? I guess none of those bad things happened this time. Funny how that works, isn't it? “

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Meredith...it was nice of you, with all of the wonderful topics discussed by DU in this particular blog, to locate the preverbial "gnat in the 55 gallon bowl of soup," by accusing him of treading on racial and politically thin ice. I would be interested in what you also thought of the wonderful Mashburn comments and the great time of bonding DU had with son #1 or did you overlook that paragraph. I know for a fact that DU voted for a democrat in the last local election. Some of his closest friends are african-american. When you surf his archives in the future, be sure and give equal time to his rich posts concerning family, friends, and his exhaustive search of how to serve his Lord better, when you start throwing stones in the form of your accusatory comments. Have a wonderful day.
----------------------------------
DU-have fun in 'Fornia dude

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

Keith- I don't comment on any blog unless I precieve some problem either real or presumed. I have read David's blog for a long time and never seen any of the things said before the election that he has said recently. Yes 99% of his post is great but seems he has to slip a 1% zinger in to denegrade blacks or democrats or black democrats. I never bother to comment just to say "Good Job" David knows he does a good job but I don't know if he knows how the zingers sound to others.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

To both brother David and Keith If I offended either or both I would like to explain why I said what I said it was out of concern not for myself but others. I have posted a small post on my blog explaining my position. If either or both wish to read and comment feel welcome. May God bless

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger dutro said...

l.e. meredith, if you only knew...

Dave's comments (his passion in everything) are toward those he sees as hypocritical, not based on race or politics. You should see him when he gets wound up about a conservative hypocrite when that person's action is only out of blind allegiance to a dogma, and not based on thought or reason. (I know--I see it happen almost daily)

Go back and read all of his posts. I can give you lots of examples of posts that speak to this very thing. The fact that Jackson and Sharpton are black does not dissuade David from taking shots at them if his perception of their actions is that they are not about seeking the truth, but about personal gain.

The fact that you picked these out of all the posts that do just that toward these types of ALL stripes leads me to ask the question: Are YOU racist? If that's all you notice, you probably need to think about that question.....

I don't know you, and don't believe you are, but see how easy it is to cast aspersions from behind the keyboard? Please elevate the level of discourse, and don't make ridiculous statements like that. If you only knew David well, you wouldn't even think of saying that.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

David I hope you will forgive Don and I while we talk about you.

Don you said if you only knew, but I do not personaly know many of the writer whom I read so I am left with what they allow me to know through their writings. then you are left with two choices either not say anything about the thing you do not understand, or ask a question I chose the latter.
I actually don't believe I accused anyone.
As for me being racest I really don't know anyone who is not, except a blind person. But if you are asking if I descriminate because of race the answer is no. I treat everyone the same I don't have to try to treat everyone the same now that would be "Racest" but if you are asking do I notice the difference in skin color I do.
And I do notice when others discriminate against race. or sex.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Safe travels.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

David, you are and have been in my prayers....

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,

Please stop being so controversial. I'm going to tell Mom.

Your brother,
Bryan

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See what happens when you out a lurker! Things happen. I still enjoy your postings. And your little brother talks too much. Take care of yourself, we been thinking about you.
MW

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I don't care what any of these other guys think, it is fine with me to send Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton over there. I have several black friends who feel exacly the same.

And for the record, just because a person might dislike one or two individuals, it doesn't make them a full-fledged racist or a "black basher". It's like saying because a person dislikes Adam Sandler and Mel Brooks, he's an anti-Semite.

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, I am bookmarking it!Keep it up!
With the best regards!
David

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2015-10-7 xiaozhengm
true religion jeans
tory burch sale
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet store online
michael kors outlet
jordans for sale
Coach Factory Online Outlet Cheap Purses
michael kors handbags
ugg boots
coach outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
Outlet Michael Kors Online
louis vuitton handbags
Louis Vuitton Outlet Quality Handbags
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Online Store
air max 95
Abercrombie and Fitch Striped Shirts
ugg boots sale
coach factory outlet
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
Michael Kors Online Store Outlet
louis vuitton
Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM Monogram
michael kors uk
Ray Ban Outlet Store Online
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Cheap Sale
Michael Kors Outlet Discount Purses Online
michael kors outlet
Michael Kors Handbags Factory Outlet
hollister
Coach Coupons In Coach Outlet Store Online
Discount Clearance Coach Outlet Handbags

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
cheap michael kors handbags
ugg boots
longchamp
longchamp handbags
basketball shoes
new england patriots jerseys
michael kors handbags
ray ban sunglasses
cleveland cavaliers jersey
2017.6.14

 

Post a Comment

<< Home