Friday, October 20, 2006

Third Saturday in October



Yeah, that's right.........my FIRST picture on my blog is of Bear Bryant. Why not? A) It's the third Saturday of October, which means it's Tennessee week. B) My very first blog post I ever did had a quote from Coach Bryant in it. So hey, I'm just being consistent! :)

I didn't grow up hating Auburn like a lot of Bama fans do. In North Alabama, the Vols are pretty much the sworn enemy. Florence is 15 miles from the Tenn. state line. At least the Auburn folks were from God's country too. And let's face it.......during my growing up years, even until I got to college, Auburn only had a couple of good teams. You remember don't you, Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley and that bunch? The Vols had good teams just about EVERY year, and gave Bama a good test just about year in and year out. The same couldn't be said for Auburn. So to this day, the Orange Nation are the folks I want to see Bama beat MORE than anybody else..........well, at least in the SEC. I probably would enjoy a win over Notre Dame or Miami just as much, but we don't get to play them as much. Don't get me wrong, the Auburn/Alabama rivalry is one of the best, if not THE best, in the nation. Everybody in the state is one or the other...........no wishy washy stuff allowed. But most of the fans are good natured about the game, and it's your neighbors and family that you are pulling against. NOT SO with the Vols! They are foreigners......you know, from way up yonder. Far away places like Oak Ridge, Nashville, Cookville, and the likes. They for sure ain't family!

So I am pumped for the third Saturday in October! If history holds true, it will be a close game no matter how much better one team is than the other. This year, Tennessee has a better record, and probably has a lot more to lose with a loss than we do. Therefore, probably more pressure. I like our chances. Bama is coming off an overtime win, which is the first overtime win we have had in a while. The offense is beginning to click on all cylinders. And we have Joe Kines. I wouldn't swap him for any Defensive Cord. in the country!

Do I miss the days of Coach Bryant? Of course I do! In the 70's he had one streak where the Tide went 33-3, and another where they went 34-2. That is called DOMINATION. From 1971 thru 1980 (10 years) the boys in Crimson won 107 games. Do the math. By the way, they only played 10 regular games a season back then. Did they lose any? Yeah.......1.3 games a year. You can understand why we got spoiled, and why NOBODY has been able to replace Coach Bryant. Coach Stallings was close, in that he won a National Championship, but it still wasn't the same dominance. And my guess is that with the parity there is today in college football, no team will ever again dominate the SEC like that. But you know, I'm glad I was there to see it, experience it, and love it. Every DOG GONE minute of it! :) And thru thick and thin, missed extra points and field goals, coaching scandals, and NCAA restrictions..........I'm a Bama fan! I went to my first game at Legion field with my Dad to see Alabama beat LSU on November 9th, 1968. Tennesse was going to play Auburn on the same field that night. It's been nothing but fun from that day till now. Isn't college football great?

Thanks for indulging me. After all, it's not everyday you turn 51.

In closing, let me say I still miss Coach Bryant. I got to talk to him one day, and got his autograph. He had his shortcomings, but he was the greatest Coach that ever walked out on a football field, in my book. Win one more tomorrow guys, and be proud to wear the Crimson and White!

13 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh Father-in-law... There are no words!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS - Ill miss yall tonight - Wodees!

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Anyone who doesn't respect the Bear, regardless of their current allegience, is a sicko. His influence, of course, goes way beyond the pigskin and the goalposts. Just look at how many players have developed into successful family and community leaders who played under his regime. Forrest Gump for one! Coach Nutt tells the story of Coach Bryant recruiting him in college and it was extremely difficult to tell him no. Bear roamed the flatlands of the great state of Arkansas and no one in his field will be equally as revered in my opinion.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

Happy Birthday! I sure hope someone got you one of those new Nike Houndstooth caps. They're sold out and on backorder in these parts.

Great post. I'm still a newbie to the Crimson Nation, but the more I learn, the more I'm impressed.

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to get one of those houndstooth hats. That picture of Keith looks like Pat McGaha.

Happy Birthday!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Yay! Happy Birthday, DU!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Well you know I LOVE this post. I hate Rocky Top with a vengence. I would rather beat Tennessee than anybody...especially since their coach is such "good people".

Happy Birthday DU....I will call Coach Mike and tell him all you want is a win....any win at all.


ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

Happy belated Bday DU!!!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger David U said...

Well, we played hard and led for most of the game, but ran out of gas in the end. It was another exciting game, and there is always next year! :)

ROLL TIDE!

DU

P.S. Thanks for all the b-day wishes! I had a great b-day.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Steve said...

You would have been proud of my wife. The die hard bama fan that she is, went to a work cookout with me and cheered loudly for bama surrounded by several Vol fans. She was proud of the Tide in spite of the loss.

This Auburn fan was also pulling for the Tide, because I have to work with the Vol fans but I live with the Bama fan.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Happy Birthday, DU! Hope it was great.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

new york knicks jersey
true religion jeans
cheap uggs
broncos jerseys
jaguars jersey
valentino shoes
air jordan 4
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
coach factory outlet
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home