Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Praisefest and Other Thoughts

The Searcy Community is having a "Praisefest" this weekend at our local event center. I heard the guy who brought this event together speaking on the radio this morning. He talked about how all the local denominations have come together to be supportive of this time of praise, worship, and thanksgiving. I know Downtown is supportive of this effort. It would be interesting to know if the other congregations in our fellowship are also going to be supportive.
I am going to be on the road, or I would have been there. Any of you local folks going? I sure hope so.

-------------------------------------------------


Speaking of music, we lost a wonderful musician 33 years ago today. Jim Croce died in an airplane crash on this date in 1973. I was a senior in High School, and I remember a bunch of the girls crying when they heard the news. Of course the guys were too cool to cry. So, what is your favorite Croce song? Mine is "Lover's Cross", but there are a ton that I love. We still miss you Jim!

-------------------------------------------------

We all agree our worship is a 24/7 thing..........right? We agree because that is what scripture teaches us. We also agree because we realize how impossible it would be to NOT worship 24/7 if we are really disciples! Then help me figure out this one. Some people believe it's ok to listen to music by atheist, but not music by other believers. The instruments in the music by the atheist is somehow NOT offensive to God, but the instruments in the music by believers IS?
Somebody help me out here.........the logic is lost on me.

-----------------------------------------------

This is a big weekend for me. Since I am a transplanted Bama fan in Arkansas, this week is ALWAYS a big one. So, I am leaving town! Well, I was leaving anyway.........but it will make it easier if we lose. I am going to be blessed to get to watch the game with an ex-Hog living in Seattle, one Jeb Huckeba. This should be interesting......and fun! Thank goodness our love for the Lord is greater than our love for the Crimson Tide or Razorbacks.........therefore our relationship will stay the same no matter the outcome of the ballgame. Just pray he doesn't want a pound of flesh if the Tide Rolls! I can't take him anymore...duh. Like maybe since he was in the 8th grade is more like it. :)

------------------------------------------

My Memphis Harding Academy Lions are 4 and ZERO! Must be some good coaching going on over there! :) Not that I am prejudice or anything. They supposedly have a cup-cake this weekend, which will put them 5-0 going into a big game against Pope John Paul out of Nashville next week. Why don't we name some high schools after some of our folks? Wouldn't you hate to play against "Evangelist Jimmy Allen" or "Preacher Jim Woodroof "? Hmmm.....I wonder what the colors would be for the team from Evangelist Jimmy Allen? :) I know what color fire is, but what about the brimstone part?

----------------------------------------

As I said earlier, I hit the road Friday. Going to the great Northwest! I can't wait to see folks like Jeb and Jami Huckeba, Brent and Heather Abney, Scott and Gaila Collins, Cam and Andrea Henderson, George and Julie Pitcher, Tom and Judy Hinds, Arleen Barnett, and many more folks at church. I also get to reconnect with one of my dearest friends in the world, Lal Chadwaney from India. Lal and I were friends in Monrovia, Liberia in the early 70's. Lal is a Hindu by heritage, and we have had some interesting talks about Christianity. Please pray that we can continue these discussions. I love him like a brother!

See ya in a week or so!

14 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Favorite Croce song - wow that is tough. As a kid I loved "Leroy Brown" & "Don't Mess Around with Jim", as a dating guy, I loved "Time in a bottle".

Probably my all time favorite is Operator.

I will be pulling for the Tide until they play my Auburn Tigers.

Safe travels

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Croce - "Everytime I tried to tell you the words just came out wrong, so I'll have to say 'I love you' in a song."

And I loved the unheralded "I've Got a Name."

Blessings on your trip!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Franklin Wood said...

About instrumental music...AMEN! I have wondered the same thing and came to the same conclusion a couple of years ago.
Jim Croce - Not too familiar with his work, but "Time In A Bottle" blew me away when I first heard it!

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure we all agree that worship is a 24/7 state of being....atleast, some I talk to make a weird distinction between what they call "corporate worship" and all other life activity. If listening or participating in music (Christian or secular) is not in corporate worship then it is o.k. because it is not worship......my question would be, "if it is not worship, then is it not "vain"? If it is merely entertainment.....that seems more inappropriate to me than accepting the possibility that it really may not matter to God whether instruments are used or not....he wants our hearts to soar in song as we sing with our God given "instrument" and I can't imagine that He would reject worship from hearts tuned in to Him because the music of a man made instrument is being offered simultaneously. I plan to attend the praise fest and I hope CofC will be well represented.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Keith said...

ANYTHING CROCE PLAYED I LOVED. Time in a Bottle, Operator stand out. Be careful; might want to talk to the Buffs of Colorado about those cupcakes. I'm not ready to roll the organ in church service yet but I wouldn't be offended by it either. I just love hearing human voices harmonize. Give Jeb and Jamie a big hug from me. Hogs 27, Bama 14. Safe travels dude. See if you can get your foot in the door with Bill Gates for a small donation while you're in the area.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

Croce--"Time In A Bottle"

Music thing--I am with you--totally don't get the logic of atheist okay--beleiver--bad.

Have a safe trip--sounds like it will be interesting!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger dutro said...

I cannot believe you didn't say "Alabama Rain" is your favorite Croce song. It is mine, and I'm not even from Alabama.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

First of all....ROLL TIDE!!

I like "You Don't Mess Around with Jim" and when I am in a contemplative mood, "Time in a Bottle".

Have a safe trip. I will boost our Tide from here!!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

How about, "I Have to Say I Love You in a Song"? That's a good one. Have a good trip. BTW, did you see Cope stealing your thunder? And did you know Stokes had a pacemaker implanted in May?

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that song, "I'll have to say I Love You in a Song?" That's a good one!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Frank Bellizzi said...

Croce: "Rapid Roy" and "Workin' at the Car Wash Blues."

One of the great lyricists of all time.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Glad to see livin' among those wild boars has not dulled your sense of taste! Roll Tide ... I hope, :-)

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

David,
I hope the turn out to praisefest went good. The church of Christ needs to be the light in the community especially with Harding being such a vital part of Searcy. My brother just graduated from Harding and loved it so much. It has been such a blessing in His life.
I hope that Harding will become more and more open to things in the future such as praisefest and be willing to work with other brotherhood colleges and letureships. Bobby Valentines book on Harding and Lipscomb is so interesting.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.8
pandora outlet
skechers shoes
red bottom shoes
ugg outlet
off white jordan
adidas nmd
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren polo
jordan shoes
canada goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home