Sunday, August 06, 2006

By The Time I Get To Phoenix

Yeah, Glenn Campbell really knew how to sing that one, didn't he!?! It's one of my all-time favs. But I am humming that because I really am going to Phoenix tomorrow. I even have a packing partner and room-mate going with me this time.......my sweet bride Jan is going with me. So, I won't be blogging anymore until next week. Pray we don't get shot by some crazy lunatic, and that the weather stays below 120! :) Jan has never been to Phoenix, so I am excited for her.

--------------------------------------------------

I have been meaning to mention this for several weeks now, but haven't gotten around to it. Did you see where the American Film Institute (AFI) came out with their top 100 most INSPIRING movies of all time? The #1 spot went to "It's A Wonderful Life". I can't argue with that. Ahh.......but did you see what got second place? "To Kill a Mockingbird" was runner-up. Hey remember, this is not MY rankings, but AFI's! :) As you might guess, that really tickled me to death. The rest in order were "Schindler's List", "Rocky", "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "E.T.", "The Grapes of Wrath", "Breaking Away", "Miracle on 34th Street", and "Saving Private Ryan". The only one I wouldn't have included was ET. I see it more as an entertaining movie as opposed to being "inspirational". And I loved ET! Just one person's perspective........and nobody asked me. I only saw "Breaking Away" one time, so I need to rent it again. I also want to see Jimmy Stewart again in "Mr. Smith". There will always be only one Jimmy Stewart.

--------------------------------------

Speaking of movies, how many of you have seen "The Last Samurai"? I saw it in the theather, but TBS or AMC or somebody has been showing it a lot lately.
I am not a huge Tom Cruise fan, so when it is on TV I never watch the whole movie again. But there is one scene that I always try and catch. At the end, the Emperor wants to know about the end of the life of the great Samurai, Katsumoto. He says to Tom Cruise "tell me how he died". Tom Cruise looks up at him from a kneeling position and says "I will tell you how he lived". Even the first time I heard that, I thought about Jesus...........and how often we need to take the opportunity to say "let me tell you how he lived, died, then rose again". Next time you catch that scene, see if my thoughts resonate with you.

-----------------------------

Good luck to Tank Daniels tonight, in his first NFL game! All Bison fans around the world are pulling for you Tank! For those of you who don't know him, Tank played football at Harding for the past four years. He is now with the Philadelphia Eagles. He wears #48. Tank is an OUTSTANDING football player, and even a better person. We love you Tank!

10 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Franklin Wood said...

Some more inspiring movies...
Rudy
Tombstone - "There is no ordinary life, Wyatt...there's just life."
There is also a very thought-provoking film I found about two Jewish men who escaped the Holocaust. One became a writer and the other a rabbi.
They find each other in Canada several years later and have conversation about life, God, and true friendship. It is called "The Quarrel" and stars Saul Rubinek. It was made in 1991 by Eli Cohen. Find it and watch it!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger David U said...

Thanks FW, will do! Always love to watch a good flick. I noticed in your bio that you put "Last Samurai" as one of your favorite movies. I guess you are familiar with the scene I am talking about in my post.

Later,
DU

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David you wrote; "Pray we don't get shot by some crazy lunatic,"
after mulling this over a little. I can't see that it makes much difference who shoots you, it still hurts. so I will just pray that you don't get shot. by anyone.
LEM

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Good post, David. The Last Samurai was a pretty cool movie. The ending was a tear-jerker for me. That is a great spiritual application to make.

Fred Craddock talked about a person's Christian life in terms of drinking a cup. There have been martyrs who--in one bold moment--drank the cup of Christ in its entirety and gave all. Then there are Christians like you and I. I'll never have my life threatened, most likely. But in every moment, capturing every thought for Christ, not neglecting to do the small important things. One little sip at a time, I too can drink that cup. I can give my life for Christ one small deed at a time. You're right...it's how we live that matters most.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

A fine performance last night by Tank. Here's hoping he can string a couple more great games together and make it real tough to cut him.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

David's in Phoenix right now too!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Franklin Wood said...

Yes, I know what scene you are talking about. There are some other good lines, too. One is about the samurai way of life, and how they seek to do everything with grace and perfection.
In another scene, the head samurai tells Cruise's character, "You can search your whole life for a perfect blossom" (while looking at a flowering tree.)
At the end, he concludes this thought by looking at a flowering tree, smiling, and saying, "They are ALL perfect!"
Application:
1) We are all designed differently.
2) God don't make junk.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

We used "The Last Samurai" during one of our Wednesday "Reel Spirituality" lessons. We discussed how the people absorbed Cruise and served him until he became part of them (and the ramifications of that concept to evangelism) as well as comparing Jesus' admonition to have one eye (to have a body full of light) and the admonition of the swordmaster to Cruise that he was losing because he had "too many mind."

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Check out this video of Tank Daniels.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

tiffany and co outlet
adidas nmd online
longchamp le pliage
longchamp handbags
tiffany and co jewellery
hermes belts for men
michael kors factory outlet
longchamp outlet
adidas superstar shoes
adidas tubular
gg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home