Monday, June 26, 2006

Road Trip

I forgot to post saying I was hitting the road again.......sorry! I traveled to Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa this past week. 1,435 miles. The road is long, but the people I get to be with are a major blessing in my life. I love my work.
I hope all of you do too.

I spent Friday afternoon and Saturday in Iowa with 3 other friends from my days in Liberia. One is a Catholic, one is Methodist, one belongs to a Community church. Two of us were sons of missionaries, and the other two didn't start going to church until they got married. We talked about spiritual things for the good part of an afternoon. We asked each other some pretty penetrating questions about our religious backgrounds. I asked my Catholic brother if most Catholics believe they HAVE to go thru confession with a priest to get forgiveness from God. He does not believe that, but he said he couldn't speak for other Catholics. I think that would be an interesting poll to take.
Two of them were having a hard time accepting that people are only saved thru Christ. No, I'm not kidding. But there was one topic we all agreed on, and it is what we spent the most time talking about. All of us are sick of "religion". Each of them sees the huge difference between religion and discipleship. One owns a diner, and he says the whole work staff dreads each Sunday because they know that day is their worst lunch crowd........both in character and tips.
That has to break God's heart. Our conversation concerning this sounded like a chapter out of Barna's "Revolution". He portrays what is going on pretty dog-gone accurately. If you haven't read it yet, go get it.

I love those three guys! All 3 have wonderful hearts, and are as transparent as the day is long. Someday I hope all of you get to meet Phil, Bill, and Tim. And I hope they get to meet you too! Both bunches would bless each other.
Isn't Heaven going to be grand!

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring Phil, Bill, and Tim to Searcy someimte. I'd love to meet 'em!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

What a fun way to spend a weekend--good friends--talking Jesus!

I do buy into the theology of tipping big on Sundays--especially if you have your church *clothes* on!!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Hey David,
I'm glad you had an uplifting experience. It's great to be able to discuss meaningful things with others...it helps us to understand both God and ourselves better.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

My daughter worked as a waitress all through her Lipscomb days. She confirmed that "church people" were the worst -- they complained the most, smiled the least, and stiffed the waitresses on tips. I was appalled so I checked with other servers everywhere I went on trips. I quit after ten States and over forty servers all told me the same thing. I LOVE religion, but only when it is that true and undefiled stuff James talked about, and it touches every aspect of our lives, letting Jesus shine through.

Safe journeys, friend. I'm home for a week and a half. OOO-rah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home