Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Iuka, Memphis and Edmond

The family reunion was WONDERFUL! I think mom had a really good time visiting with all of her family. It was good to see aunts and uncles that I had not seen in several years. We didn't get around to playing horseshoes because of the heat. The old Wade home place looks good, and it always brings back memories of my paw-paw, beagle dogs, Dr. Pepper by the crate, Dentine gum, Arm and Hammer for brushing my teeth, pull-through washing machines, a well, and out-houses. Oh, and an old-timey phone like you see Andy Griffith using at his house.......the kind you had to wind up. Ahhh............that was living! :)

I enjoyed very much being with my brother Bryan on Saturday night. He cooked out, we hung by the pool and Matt came over. Sunday morning I went to Sycamore View to church with Bryan and his family and Matt. WOW! What a SUPER church family. I want to share with you a thought Curt Sparks shared with the congregation that morning. They are doing a series on Jesus this summer. Here is the question he asked: We know the prostitutes, cheaters, and what we would call other "low-lifes" were attracted to Jesus. Why are they NOT attracted to us?

Think on that for a while.

I'm headed to Edmond for a couple of days. Can you believe June is almost half over? Where does the time go? What's it all about, Alfie? :)

Have a great rest of the week!

6 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a member of the Searcy Country Club ONLY because the bank I work for pays the membership fee.(I certainly can't afford it otherwise and if I could I would probably only pay a green fee occasionally to play golf). I say that in response to Curt Sparks challenge of evaluating why the masses aren't drawn to us. We tend to be exclusive. We term our association with a church as a "membership." Membership has its priviledges,(as American Express has marketed for years) and also criteria. We don't advertise criteria, necessarily, to become a "member" of our churches, literally, but what the seekers often see entering and exiting our barracks are pressed suits, nice cars in the parking lots, new dresses, socio-economic similarities, and so on. We display a "clickish atmosphere," if you will, in which the downtrodden see themselves as not fitting in. Like a blue collar showing up at the Annual Country Club ball for dinner in his tatered jeans and dingy shirt. He would have more eyes glaring his way than the word Mississippi! The seekers are drawn to Jesus because of his story. He started his kingdom work via a barn door. He worked as a carpenter. He ate with the lowest of lives, as viewed by society, and he loved them. WE DO WHAT WE LOVE. If we're not inviting them into our homes, into our fellowship, bottom line is- we don't love them. Forgive me Lord for not loving others as you love me.
Keith

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Hey David. What day were you in Memphis at Sycamore View? I spent the night in their building on the way to New Orleans. Curt and I visited briefly before we left and he had to go preach. That was Sunday, June 4. Curt's an old TNT buddy. Family reunions are great, aren't they? Too bad, most family reunions are when someone dies. Take care. JW

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

David don't get serious the first day back, go over and post a comment on old Larry's blog "The occasional opinion" he deserves about fifty comments on this one.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

BTW, I saw Mickey Pounders while I was in New Orleans. It was great to see him again!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I just flew back from Edmond yesterday. Sorry I missed you. I'm off to York College on Sunday to do Soulquest.

Glad you enjoyed your family reunion. My family can't hold one until the court orders expire and a few of them make bail. When they finally get to hold one, you'll know -- it will be on the news.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Horse shoes....

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home