Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Pepperdine Recap

It's good to be in my own bed again! It's good to be back in Searcy again also.
The saying is old but true.............there really is no place like home.

Reflecting back on last week, I will try and give you some of the highlights. It was great to see old HU friends again......Jim, David, JA, Greg, Steve, Byron, Jerry, Bryan, Mike, Keith B, Steve & Kathy, Marla, my wonderful brother-in-law Jimmy and his beautiful wife Annie, and many more that I am sure I am leaving out. It was also fun being with Searcy folks in a different setting and atmosphere........Mike, Paul Pollard, Andrew, Keith, Monte come to mind. I thought the key-note talks were a little down this year, with the exception of Don, Rich and Shon Smith. That is NOT to say that they weren't good or inspiring...........I'm just saying that they weren't as powerful as they have been in years past. But, the classes were as strong if not stronger than they have EVER been! They were OUT OF THIS WORLD! So, go to www.Gayloronline and order as many as you can. You will NOT be dissapointed. You can choose the creative genius of Jeff Walling, the enthusiasm for evangelism of Don Mclaughlin, the passion of Rick Atchley with Bob Russell, the scholarship of Rubel Shelly, the humor and deep theology of Randy Harris, the always Christ-focused message of Mike Cope, and so MANY MANY more rich classes that I can't name them all. I can promise you that whatever you spend will be well worth the investment. Some always ask me "what was the best thing you heard?" I can't answer that. There were too many things that would have qualified as "the best thing". But I will share with you one good thing I heard. The theme this year centered around "Fellowship". Tim Spivey asked the first night something to this effect......."why don't we fellowship to the degree that God does?" WOW! That caught my attention from the get-go. So, why don't we? Maybe we can talk about that on some later post.

Our Harding reception went GREAT! We had over a hundred alums and friends of Harding there. As I stated before we went, we had two board members there.....Jimmy Cone and Jerry Morgan. It was an honor to have them at this event with us. It was wonderful to have our VP for Advancement, Mike Williams, with us this year also. We were also VERY HONORED that Mike Cope came to our reception this year. He has had some conflicts with the scheduling of this event the past two years, but this year it worked out where he could make it. He was swarmed with loving alums the whole time he was there! He is dearly loved and appreciated by the folks that were there that night.

So, it was a great week! I think Keith had a great time and plans to go back. It was a spiritual feast that is enhanced by being able to partake in the feast with so many people I love and appreciate from all over the country. Johnny and Shirley Vaughan were there from Bartlesville, Oklahoma for the first time. Charles and Nanette Roberts were there from Colorado again. Mike Bucchi and his new bride were up from San Diego. I could go on and on.

I still am worn out, but I am getting there! Like I said in the beginning, there is no place like home.

5 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, I don't make the list. :)

I agree with you that the classes were definitely the highlight this year. Great stuff.

BTW - The website for the CDs is www.gayloronline.com (without the e).

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger David U said...

Sorry for the galor thingy! Which Brian is this? Is this Westside Brian? Yes, sorry I left you out. I am jealous Westside had more folks there than Downtown did!
:)

Later,
DU

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Dude, my pics were ready at Wal-Mart last night at 5:30 and I was there to pick them up at 5:31. I am no George Dillon but my Fuji camera did a pretty good job. Even though the drive down the pacific coast highway and the daily ocean view from the Malibu campus is undescribable, the lectureship was amazing. If I was held at gunpoint and had to choose a highlight, it would be the singing. People surrounding me, all ages, all walks of life, singing with passion, lifting hands, grasping hands, heads held high,(as Jerry R. would encourage us to do), making a joyful noise to the Lord. Sitting at the feet of so many great men like Mike C., Randy H., Shon S., Monte C., Rich L., Donnie Mac and many others was truely a rich blessing. I'll be baacck. Also knowing there were shephards there like Jimmy and Jerry who will go back to their congregrations and share their feast with others is encouraging. Thanks, David for staying on me for the last 2 years to go and share in a wonderful spiritual feast. Get ready for next year, Hoggard, Craig, others. The theme will evolve around Jeremiah and I can't wait. Love ya, bro.
Keith

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger David U said...

AC, notice the update on the post!
:) SORRY......and you know I love you too!

DU

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DU and Keith, Lord willing I will be there...some day. My guess is I will never be the same if I go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home