Thursday, August 17, 2006

Exciting Time

It's an exciting time around here. Searcy's population will balloon this weekend, with 5,000 students coming.......bringing with them 10,000 parents to move their babies in. I am not sure when parents started moving their children in the dorms. We got "sent off to school" back in the day. I remember telling my dad goodbye, and then my mom took me over to Mike Mitchell's house so I could ride with him to Searcy. I was hacked when I had to go home for Thanksgiving........of course I was already in love with Miss Jan Lawyer by that time. :) I will never forget the first night in Armstrong. Our third roomate, Robert Burch, was not there yet and he was bringing our window unit air-conditioner. I don't sweat like some folks do, but I woke up that next morning with my sheets dripping wet from sweat. August 1974. That is a wonderful memory.......a VERY FINE one. I hope many memories are made in the next few days and upcoming months. Pray for us, as we try to impact the lives of these special young people.

------------------------------------------

I found out this afternoon that our theme this year in chapel is going to be "Living at the foot of the Cross". I think that is a great choice, and I look forward to seeing what the Spirit with do with this effort.

---------------------------------------

Arizona was special. It was hot, but that is like saying Seattle is wet. That is just the way it is............and you get past it. We took a BEAUTIFUL drive one day, going from Phoenix to Sedona by way of Prescott and Jerome. Jerome is probably the quaintest little town I have ever been in..........at least in the United States. I have been in the Alps, and although Jerome is not that high, you get the feel you are someplace in Europe. It sits on the side of a mountain, and most of the buildings and houses are up on stilts. An AMAZING place. If you ever get the chance to go, don't pass it up. The red rock mountains around Sedona are unbelieveable. I could just stare at them for hours. We were blessed to see a beautiful Arizona sunset the night we were in Sedona. It reminded me of an African sunset. As they are everywhere, the Harding folks in Arizona are SUPER folks. I can't wait to go back!

-----------------------------------------

Football season is upon us. Matt's Harding Academy Lions have their first game in Memphis a week from tomorrow. I am SO there already! :) GO LIONS! I think my Crimson Tide is going to do just fine this year, so let me go ahead and get in a ROLL TIDE ROLL right now. :) Ain't it great?
The best thing is knowing that cooler weather is on the way. Tomorrow won't be too soon, if you ask me.


Hope everybody has a good weekend!

8 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

For us at least, our student is more excited about getting back to school, than the parents are about letting him go again! I am working on being excited, but it's just not here yet!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

We are enjoying our "last's" with Duncan before he heads off to the Marines and university next June. It makes every day precious.

I can remember my first day in fall term at Freed-Hardeman. It was a two year school then and I was in Paul Gray Hall -- built with left over lumber from the Ark. The day was cool and my roommate opened the window... and the air conditioner promptly fell two floors to the lawn below. Not the most auspicious start to the term but, strangely, highly appropriate and indicative of the way things would go from that point on!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you next Friday, Mr. David! I cant wait to see you and Miss Jan! Please tell her I said hi and hopefully I wil talk to yall before then!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Have you seen our schedule...we are playing Duke!!

But I think it will be a good year for the mighty Crimson Tide


ROOOOOOOOLLLLL TIDE!!!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

We have tickets to the Duke-Bama game. The Tide should be really Rolling that day.

Number One Son recently started his "last first day" of public school. He seems to be relishing each moment, and so are we.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I love the energy in the air when the students are back in town. I don't mind waiting longer in the gas lines and food lines and the Wal-Mart lines because of the extra 5,000 kids in town; I like the tradeoff. Reminds me of my first year on 3rd floor of Armstrong. Three guys to a room! (for a couple of weeks)Two was really cramped. No A/C but great memories. I remember meeting Leonard Cannon, Danny McNeal, and Randy Harris in Armstrong. My roomate and best friend during high school, Fred Strasser, went back to our hometown of Wynne and has preached there for about 25 years. I moved my son, Stephen, in the dorm this weekend. It was difficult for me to watch him go on his own. I reminded him of the many relationships he would have that would last an eternity as a result of being on this campus. Can we sing a line of the alma mater? Go Bisons.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I think I understand what's meant by "Living at the Foot of the Cross." But it still makes me edgy. I guess I'm concerned that a lot of people spend a whole lifetime - not just a few moments in communion on Sunday or just a semester - living at the foot of the cross ... and never get to the empty garden tomb, or the road to Emmaus, or the mount of Ascension, or Pentecost, or the missionary journeys, or the vision of Patmos ....

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

tiffany and co outlet
adidas nmd online
longchamp le pliage
longchamp handbags
tiffany and co jewellery
hermes belts for men
michael kors factory outlet
longchamp outlet
adidas superstar shoes
adidas tubular
gg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home