Saturday, September 09, 2006

Edward Fudge and Songs of Our Journey

No, those two don't have anything to do with each other. It's just that I am going to refer to both in this post. Thanks for ALL the comments involving the "Jesus is the Savior ONLY of the church" statement. My take is that the statement is the product of a very STRONG sectarian mindset. I don't believe that to be true. That is not the gospel I read about in the New Testament. John 3:16 is not up for discussion as far as I am concerned.

If you want to read a scholarly essay as to how someone could get to the point that they are THAT sectarian, please read the following post by Edward Fudge. I have never read anything by EF that didn't encourage me. I love his spirit, and his love for his Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Thank you Royce Ogle for pointing me to this wonderful essay.

http://www.edwardfudge.com/written/restmvmnttext.html

____________________________________


Ever since Joe Beam had us sing "You've Got a Friend" last year at Downtown, I have been more aware of seeing how secular songs can apply to my spiritual life and to my personal journey. Yeah, it would be a monumental task to make most of them applicable........but there might be more opportunities than you think. Yesterday I heard "The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles, and it really resonated with me as far as my walk has been.

"The long and winding road that leads to your door,
Will never disappear,
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here, leads me to your door.


"Why leave me standing here, let me know the way
Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried,
but still they lead me back to the long and winding road"

So, do any of you have secular songs that remind you of your journey or encourage you in your daily walk? If so, please share them with the rest of us.

_________________________________

The Harding Academy Lions in Memphis are 3-0 after last night! They defeated Ezell-Harding last night, and face a tough Knoxville Webb team next week. Can anything good come outa Knoxville? :) Just teasing. Some of my most DEAREST friends in the WHOLE WORLD are in Knoxville........Tom and Anita Drinnen. I would go to the wall for them in a heart beat. They were my second parents in Liberia when I was in High School there, and I don't know if I would have made it without their their love and support. Anybody else out there know the Drinnens? Their son, Tommy, is a missionary at the Village of Hope in Ghana. The apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Everybody have a GREAT weekend.

Roll Tide Roll

11 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

As for secular songs with a bent toward faith ...

I like "Show Me the Way" by Styx. I think it speaks of the yearning in the hearts of people who know they need faith in their lives, but maybe haven't encountered Christ yet.

I also like "The Heart of the Matter" by Don Henley. Again, it talks about the need for forgiveness ... "even if you don't love me anymore."

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Concrete Angels, In My Daughter's Eyes, and God's Will are three that impact me by Martina McBride. They bring tearus to my eyes!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

Nothing jumps out at me at the moment, but I do like all Keith's. If we pay close attention to a song we can see where it is comming from. I love singing, I wish I could.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Laymond said...

sing that is.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I am a huge Tom and Anita Drinnen fan. They are truly godly, gentle people... and they introduced me to the wonderful world of parrots. I love going to Knoxville to visit them. You had good "parents", David.

As for songs -- what about "Hole Hearted?" "There's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you."

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger dutro said...

Free Ride, by Edgar Winter..

"The mountain is high, the valley is low, and you're confused on which way to go
So I've come here to lend you a hand, and lead you into the promised land.

Come on and take a free ride (GRACE?) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,..."

I

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Oh I like Free Ride!!!

Otherwise I am currently brain dead but wanted to say Roll Tide!!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger preacherman said...

We Are The Champions by Queen. Reminds me of the victory we have in Christ.

One by U2. Reminds me of the love relationship that I have with God and that we are one but we are not the same. He is God I am not.

Imagine by John Lennon. Reminds me of how wonderful life would be if we set aside differences and seek peace and pursue it.

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Drinnens. What a blessing to know them. You can find out more about Tommy's work in Ghana at his web site http://web.mac.com/tommydrinnen.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

nike tn
cheap nike shoes
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses wholesale
nike air max 90
ugg boots
jordan 4
michael kors handbags
true religion outlet
2017.6.14

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

coach outlet store online
mlb jerseys
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
toms shoes
louboutin shoes
fitflops shoes
rolex replica
ugg boots
2017.7.26

 

Post a Comment

<< Home