Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Peter's Deja Vu

It seems to me I have had Peter's experience in John 21 on my mind a lot lately. Sometime in the last month somebody was reading from John 21, and it hit me that Peter had hit the water before.......alone. I went back and read the Matthew 14 experience, and compared it to the John 21 episode. Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to read Peter's thoughts as he hit the water that second time? Remember, he evidently had not had any words with Jesus since the night of betrayal. I don't think he hit the water with as much enthusiasm or confidence this time, do you? He for sure was not up for making a request to see if the water would hold him up, as he did the first time. Been there, done that. My guess is that this Peter was a lot more humble than the guy we read about in Matthew. I'm thinking he would have felt a lot more comfortable with the algae and snails on the bottom. But you know what I like about this more humble Peter.........he still knew WHO to go towards! He didn't swim away, or try and get the other guys to help him row the boat away in the opposite direction. Nope, the account says as SOON as Peter heard John say "it is the Lord", he hit the water. I gotta think it was a Deja Vu moment for him. He didn't cry out this time "Lord, save me!" , but I gotta think it was in his eyes. Not because he was drowning, but because he felt estranged from the One who can save. He probably remembered Jesus's question from the earlier fiasco......."you of little faith, why did you doubt?" What would be His first words this time? Would he get another scolding? Would he get a look of disappointment? Would he get the exact same words again? I'd give a dollar or two to know what was going on in Peter's mind during this second water experience. Maybe someday I will get the chance to ask him. We don't know if Jesus said anything to him before the others got there, but the first 12 recorded words we have Him saying to Peter are "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" We could get into a discussion about who the "these" were.........and that is a good discussion. But for now, I think it is interesting at the end of this banter back and forth where Jesus is asking Peter how much he loves Him, Jesus ends the discussion with the same words he said to Peter the very first time He ever met him....."Follow me!" Reading between the lines here, you have to hear Jesus saying "yeah, Peter, I know you screwed up........and screwed up bad. But I know you love me, and that's what really counts. Keep following me, trusting me, and believing in me. You are still one of mine, and I love you! You are forgiven! I have big plans for you! So quit worrying about my love for you, it's always there. In turn, take care of my sheep.....the way I took care of you!"

Is there a word in there for you? Gotta say, there is for me. Every year? Every month? Every week? Try every day. Probably every minute. See, I've hit the water before too.

8 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Mark said...

David,
This is a really excellent post. Though I've read it numerous times, I had never thought about Peter getting out of the boat a second time.

What I love about John 21 is the great application that is there about shepherding. When a church is looking for new elders, they usually get out the combined Timothy/Titus list and start checking off qualifications.

In this context, Jesus is asking Peter to be a shepherd of his flock. What is his primary qualification for a man leading his people? Three times he asks, "Do you love me?" That has got to be the bottom line for our spiritual leaders. Before we look at how he manages his business or his personal affairs, or at whether he can teach a Sunday school class, is it overwhelmingly obvious how passionate this man is about serving Jesus Christ? If we love Jesus with our heart, soul, mind, and strength, it seems that a lot of other 'qualifications' sort of fall in line on their own.

Hope all is well for you and your family.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I think that is why I love all the stories about Peter, I have sunk so many times, it is good to know that Jesus always picked up and built up Peter. It gives me comfort.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I think the word that comes to mind after reading your post, is REASSURANCE. In my roller coaster walk with Him, I often forget that he's with me in the low times as well as the high times. Its reassuring to know that when we forget Him, he NEVER forgets us. Good words friend.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

Do you know why the question and answer was repeated three times?

When our Lord says, "Lovest thou me?" he uses the Greek word agapas; and when Simon answers, he uses the Greek word philo, i.e., "I love." This is the usage in the first and second questions put by our Lord; but in the third our Lord uses Simon's word. The distinction between these two Greek words is thus fitly described by Trench:, "Agapan has more of judgment and deliberate choice; philein has more of attachment and peculiar personal affection. Thus the 'Lovest thou' (Gr. agapas) on the lips of the Lord seems to Peter at this moment too cold a word, as though his Lord were keeping him at a distance, or at least not inviting him to draw near, as in the passionate yearning of his heart he desired now to do. Therefore he puts by the word and substitutes his own stronger 'I love' (Gr. philo) in its room. A second time he does the same. And now he has conquered; for when the Lord demands a third time whether he loves him, he does it in the word which alone will satisfy Peter ('Lovest thou,' Gr. phileis), which alone claims from him that personal attachment and affection with which indeed he knows that his heart is full."

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Well done, David. I, too, have hit the water many times. I don't mind that so much. It's the flushing sound that scares me...

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

I've hit that water, too!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

coach outlet
kate spade outlet
yeezy boost 350 black
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
jordan shoes
polo outlet
ray ban sunglasses
patriots jerseys
2017.6.14

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

reebok outlet
cheap mlb jerseys
nike blazer pas cher
supra shoes sale
cheap jordans
christian louboutin outlet
golden state warriors jerseys
ugg boots
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors uk
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home