Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Freed, Miami, and Other Ramblings

Somebody sent me the link to read the Christian Chronicle article concerning the events at Freed on Oct. 14th. One section at the beginning of the article really caught my attention:

But the purpose this time was not to tout the common beliefs and heritage of two groups that split 100 years ago. Instead, organizers of a "Contemporary Discussion" on unity at Freed-Hardeman University made it clear their focus would be on what still divides the Restoration Movement churches.

WOW! How sad is that? To focus on the negative.......division.

I think the biggest difference in the views of the two participants was their view of what doctrines or issues are the most important. The guy from Freed is quoted as saying:

We are not in fellowship because of one big, obvious thing.

The fellow from the Christian Church responded by saying:

I may not agree on some points, but because we are brothers and sisters in Christ, we do have fellowship.

Could the difference be MORE obvious? Which view models New Testament discipleship?
Which view seems more Christ like? Which view seems to be following John when he said:

For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

I know some will respond by saying, "He didn't say he didn't love the other guy". Please.
Actions speak much louder than words...........and the world is looking at what we do, not what we say. Again, the biggest difference is that one person is focused on "church", the other is focused on following Christ.............real discipleship. I know which camp I am in. How about you?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Were you like I was when I saw the Miami football team in an all out brawl? I was like "what did you expect"? It has been a rogue program full of thugs since Jimmy Johnson was there in the early 90's. The only difference is that these guys aren't any good, and those early teams were. Good in the since of winning games, that is. The administration has no character or integrity if they don't handle this latest fiasco with stiff measures, such as a LOT of players losing their scholarships. I also hope the NCAA comes down hard on them. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of thugs. Ex-coach and current ESPN commentator Bill Curry has an OUTSTANDING article on ESPN.com Here is a link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2628276

-------------------------------------------------------

My Memphis HA Lions are 6-2 now. It's hard to win when your stud QB is hurt. I just hope we get him back in time for the play-offs! GO LIONS! You are having a GREAT season!

---------------------------------------------------------

Will you be as happy as I will be when this voting season has passed? "Politics" is a very nasty word these days. Could it get any more hateful? It makes me DREAD what all is going to take place leading up to November 2008. It may make all this seem like a love-fest. God help us. Help us to remember who we are FIRST.

------------------------------------------------

HU Homecoming is next weekend! I hope all you Alums will plan on coming to be with us and see all the new sites on campus. Most of all, I hope you get to see people that you love, and may not have seen for some time. Come to Searcy, the place where thousands live like millions wish they could! :)

13 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Mike over at Ocular Fusion posted a link to a good USA Today article on the subject. I don't watch much football, but when something like this happens, I take some interest. The guy at USA Today made some excellent points about what this incident is teaching our youth.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bill Curry article is outstanding.

I agree with you that the punishment should be severe. But it probably won't be. Miami president Donna Shalala gave them a slap on the wrist, and said that will be all. You can read all about it Here.

FIU took it a bit more seriously, and handed down some stiffer penalties.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Keith said...

In keeping with the political theme of the month, I'll sling some mud of my own on DU. Do ya'll know what his position is on those who park vehicles and straddle the yellow lines taking up more than one space? You as voters are entitled to this info. Its not a matter of public record but link me and I'll fill you in on this two-faced "bubba-crat."
Congrats on Matt and his Lions. The boy is doing good. I'm with you on Miami. It was gangish at a minimum.
Dissappointed with our sister schools position on the debate. I mean "What in God's Name Are We Doing?"

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

AMEN....to the small reprieve on politics.

How dare they treat college football like a hockey game!!

I wonder how many people take seriously Jesus' prayer that we be one.....???

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger believingthomas said...

the commentary by the ex-hurricane in the booth was worse than the fight. Emotions / frustrations sometimes get the best of 19 year olds. But that guy mouthing off has no excuse.

as for mouthing off. I just can't help but believe that the guy (forget his name) at FHU deep down believes that anyone from the Christian Church is headed to Hell.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the visitors to the HU Homecoming will take in "Fiddler on the Roof!" It's a tradition! I promise they will be in for a wonderful evening.

Speaking of tradition, many of us used to be in that Pharisaical way of thinking you described. But thanks be to God for His mercy by teaching us grace, and that it's not about rightness and wrongness on disputable matters, but about justice, mercy, grace, peace, love and righteousness (as opposed to "rightness").

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Well, here's the deal about politics. Just vote for Mitt Romney in '08 and ignore everything else going on...

:)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Steve said...

What you have highlighted about freed is why I left after two years and why I will not send my children there.

The reason FIU is taking this more seriously than Miami is that FIU isn't expected to win games, Miami is. Can't win games without players. Sad but true.

My 10 year old daughter gets so angry at mudslinging ads. I can't give her a good reason why people do it, other than it works. Again sad but true. I am ready for the election to be over.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

I appreciate your comments on several things here: Miami/FIU but especially the discussion at FHU.

Had brother Gilmore's name been DAVID rather than RALPH perhaps his name sake from Pink Floyd would have helped him steer clear of the land mines of special pleading and missing the point.

Since I was youngster I have heard the plea Gilmore made: "Why don't you give up the instrument for the sake of unity?"

Brother Faust's reply, and Gilmore's failure to recognize its significance speaks volumes. Faust asked why "we" refuse to give up our multiple cups, kitchens and Sunday schools for the sake of unity? In fact I have numerous examples of Gilmores exact statement from those on the right directed to us in the "mainline" Churches of Christ.

I have not heard a satisfactory answer from Gilmore ... or anyone else for that matter on this point.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kari Lee Townsend said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, David. Great blog.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger David U said...

Shannon, I am quite aware the guy from Freed is not alone! :)

Obviously, I don't agree with the quote you included. But everybody has the freedom to come up with their own conclusion on this.

The closer the topic is to the cross, the more weight I give it.

But again, that's just me.

Come visit anytime, brother!
DU

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Jim Martin said...

I just don't get it. What is to be gained (at Freed) by the same sort of discussion we've witnessed before. (I say that given the way it has already been framed initially).

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger David U said...

Shannon, you are dead on.....it is sad. I would go so far to say it's also MORE than that. It's tragic in my book.

Come back often, brother!

DU

 

Post a Comment

<< Home