Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Holy Spirit, College Football, Distinguished Speakers, etc

We concluded several weeks of study on the Holy Spirit today at Downtown. Monte Cox, Ken Neller, and Dave Mathews did a tremendous job of bringing presentations on this topic. If any of you are interested in hearing them, contact the DT office at 501-268-8583 and request the tapes. You won't be disappointed......promise. I applaud our leadership for the vision and wisdom to take on this sometimes avoided study. God has blessed DT with Spirit led and Christ-like men to Shepherd us. We are RICHLY blessed by them!

---------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to the Arkansas Razorbacks. They went to the plains of Auburn and destroyed the Tigers! Is college football crazy or what? I guess that is what makes it so fun and intriguing. I must remind all you Hog fans of a recent phenomenon..........Houston is a much better coach when he is the underdog. That could spell trouble. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened to you. Don't expect it to happen this week though with mighty S.E. Missouri State coming to town. The Harding Bisons ( yeah, BisonS!) are on a winning streak! Congrats to coach Tribble and the rest of the Bison staff and players. Keep it going! My Memphis Harding Academy Lions came from 17 down to win in Nashville this past weekend........they are 6-1 now! GO LIONS! They play their biggest rival this week........ECS of Memphis. Of course I am SO there already. :)

-----------------------------------------------------

It's been several weeks now, but people keep asking me for my take on the Sean Hannity speech here a few weeks ago. My view is that the "Distinguished Lectureship Series" has been just that.....distinguished. I didn't think Hannity was distinguished before I heard him, and I still don't. Mind you, I have voted Republican almost exclusively my whole life. So it's not like I have a hidden agenda as a liberal Democrat......or a Democrat of ANY stripe. It's just that we have a rich heritage of inspiring speakers coming to take part in this program, and he just didn't meet that criteria in my opinion. He has not earned the right to be listed along side folks like Colin Powell, Barbara Bush, Margaret Thatcher, and other great leaders or diplomats. Sean is not in that league. As Cliff Ganus III wrote in "The Bison":

Rather than resonable political discourse, the evening consisted of the lobbing of jibes and accusations from an extreme representative of one party against extreme targets on the opposite side. Although some seemed to consider that this was some sort of educational event, it wasn't. Entertainment is was. Cheerleading it was. Propaganda it was. Education it wasn't.

I concur with Cliff. It was pretty sophomoric, and not to the level we have come to expect and stand for on our campus. So yeah, I was disappointed. But I am only one voice, and many others probably enjoyed it and thought it was a wonderful evening. Hey, to each his own.

Lastly, what was the deal with microphone? That never used to happen when David Woodroof was around. Why did you leave, Dave?

----------------------------------------

I hit the road headed to Tulsa tomorrow. I am ALWAYS blessed by the wonderful folks there! Everybody have a BLESSED week! Roll Tide! Go Lions! Go Bisons! Go Wildcats!

9 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What?

Where did David Woodroof go?

This is sad and disturbing news all around...

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Keith said...

You forgot "Go Hogs" at the end. No, you probably didn't. The DT shephards are truely visionaries. I also appreciate their boldness in finding ways to improve on what we are called to do and to be. The singing was great, as always. Kudos to James, Craig, and all the other leaders. Safe travels to Tulsa friend.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

I give up. What did happen to David Woodroof?

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

David you are going on one of your many trips out of state one time and when you return will find the door to Arkansas is closed. better get with the program "GO Hawgs"

signed; ex-Arkie

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger David U said...

Annie, thanks for the heads up! I am on the road, but it must be 268-5358. I will look it up when I get back.....SORRY! :(


DU

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DT office number is 501.268.5383.

Marlea Johnson

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you have had a good study on the Spirit. We were at Downtown when we lived in Searcy, lots of good people there. I think we have been too afraid of the Holy Spirit for too long. He has an important ministry in our lives, which is why Jesus sent him.

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. David! Im sooooo excited about tommorrow night! Cant wait to see yall! Goooo Lions!!!!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

My husband and I visited Downtown about a staff position a couple of years ago. We may have met you. That is a very impressive church! The elders/shepherds there seemed to be great leaders.

But we ended up in Rocky Top instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home