Thursday, January 18, 2007

Seven Wonders of Discipleship

I can't remember if that is the exact title Tim Curtis is using this Spring, but if it's not that, it's something along those lines. Tim leads a group each Wednesday night at what we call "Nexus".
Look it up. I think it means "the center of something". We try and talk about things that are at the center of our journey. Tim and his team do an OUTSTANDING job in their leadership role for this class.

Every participant in this spiritual journey we are on has had times in the doldrums, time on the mountian tops, and all stops in between. Do you remember the times of awe, wonder, amazement, and close to euphoria when you were at the mountain top? What would it take to get you to that point right now........assuming you are not there at the present time? No, you won't stay there, nor would you want to. But you also don't need to stay in the doldrums for large segments of time either. Have you read the passages talking about us being people of hope and joy?!?!? :) Gotta say, more times than not I see folks at church and in everyday life that seem to be anything BUT hopeful or joyous. So again, what would it take to get you there RIGHT now?

Over the next 7 weeks Tim is going to share ideas he thinks will help enable us to recapture the awe and wonder. Come join us if you can!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who are Shane Claiborne fans, check out this web site and his last two writings about hell. I don't know about you, but I am sitting on ready for him to write another book! I don't see anyway it could impact me as much as "The Irresistible Revolution" did.

Here is the sight: http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan and I have watched "American Idol" the past two nights. It's entertaining in some respects, but the thing that has jumped out at me the most is how MANY hurting people come on that show!! A lot of the people who are there seem to be begging to be validated and appreciated by SOMEBODY, so they are going to give Randy, Paula, and Simon a chance to fill in that empty space . Have you noticed that? I mean there are some PITIFUL people who come on that show. And most leave not feeling validated or appreciated, especially by Simon.
So it got me to thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful if these folks could show up on "God's Idol". I know, I know.........that's not a good name for it, but you know what I am talking about. Wouldn't you love to hear the Father sitting there in Simon's seat when these hurting folks walk in? "Your voice sounds beautiful to me, Tim.........but your heart sounds even MORE beautiful! Here is your ticket to Heaven. See that guy over there? That's my son...........follow him and he will show you the way there. He's the only one besides me that knows the way. I'll be there when you get there!" I think I would pay to watch that show. How bout you? :)

11 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your comments on Idol are poignant. I watched it and laughed.
at the same time, as Christians should we really enjoy when people are mocked and put down??

we make ourselves feel better by saying, "they were asking for it by coming on TV"

I guess the golden rule doesn't apply in all cases...

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I believe Brian got his point across! ...quick draw mcgraw..."Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." What a comforting thought that would be. I look forward to the 7 Wonders Class..first one being 'God Loves Me.'

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about the comment in triplicate, I didn't repeatedly hit the login and publish button, please delete

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger JAW said...

Hey, I heard a few days ago that Shaine Claiborne will be speaking in chapel at Rochester College later this Spring. Maybe Harding will book him next?

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger David U said...

JA, I wish! Maybe we can both him and Rob Bell. :)

DU

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Glad you are a part of Nexus on Wednesdays at Downtown. The actual name of the series is "Seven Wonders of the Spiritual World." A video promo of the 7 wonders we will cover can be seen at www.downtownchurch.org.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger JP said...

David, that put a smile on my face when you were talking about God Idol. I enjoying watching the show, more so in the beginning, to watch people really stink it up. However, every now and then, that you alluded to, you see someone who obviously is looking for attention (in a hurting way) or acceptance, it breaks my heart. If you remember the last 10 min of the show. A 16 year old boy came on (without his parents there) and made it to the next round. He called his mother and was he so happy that he was crying because his mother was proud of him. I guess he really needed to here those words from his mom.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David you said- I think I would pay to watch that show. How bout you? :)

It is even better than that someone already paid for our tickett.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came here from someones blog where you commented and said it looked like a chicks blog...which made me chuckle, so wanted to visit you.

I dislike watching Amer. but then I dislike watching most TV, except football..what a novel idea about the God idol thing, but until that materializes, I shall continue to spend a great deal of time praying for people such as Simon

enjoyed visiting you....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home