Saturday, December 30, 2006

Goodbye 2006

Where did the past 12 months run off to? WOW! Jan and I got engaged 30 years ago last night, so I guess I am wondering even more about the past 3 decades. Time flies when you are having fun, huh? 2006 has been a good year, in my opinion. Here are some of the highlights for me in no particular order: Both my boys got engaged, Luke graduated from Harding, Pepperdine Lectures, Downtown continues to grow both spiritually and numerically, Matt had a good season as a coach in Memphis, the Randy Harris weekend at Downtown, the Leadership conference at Pleasant Valley, I continued to be blessed by the special people I get to visit thru my mission at Harding, my mom and dad had relatively good health, I was able to visit my brother Bryan and his family several times in Memphis, the blessing of working with the wonderful Advancement team here at HU, reading SUPER blog posts each week by many of you, traveling to Arizona with Jan, spending several days with 3 close friends from Liberia in Iowa this summer, attending the Tulsa Soul-Winning Workshop for the first time, getting a positive result from my heart cath, and last but not least........getting PAST election season!!

I think I read more books this past year than any previous year of my life. How would I rank them? Well, here are probaby the top 5:

The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller
Escape from Slavery by Fancis Bok
Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

Not only are those five the best I read this year, they may be the best 5 I have EVER read!

Movies? I don't go to many movies, and we don't rent very often either. I did enjoy watching the TNT mini-series with Robert Duvall, "Broken Trail". ANYTHING he is in, I want to see it........especially if it is a western.

TV? Jan and I continue to enjoy laughing while watching "King of Queens" and "Everybody Loves Raymond". Confession time................Jan has even gotten me to enjoy watching Rachael Ray from time to time. Especially when she is visiting cities where I travel.

Most Ridiculous Item of 2006? Christians who won't play contemporary Christian music, but will listen to music by atheists! Something whacky and absurd there in my opinion. If you figure that one out, let me know.

Wishes for 2007?
1) For my boy's weddings to go well!
2) For Alabama to hire a good coach and have a winning season next fall.
3) Peace in the Middle East and sections of Africa.
4) That politics will become less ugly.
5) That the Shepherds at Downtown will continue to lead in the Godly way they have been.
6) That I will continue to grow in my walk, and that I will continue to be a searcher.
7) That each of you will have a GREAT 2007 and will continue to be my friends!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR blogging family!

7 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 2007 to you and Jan as well. Keep up the blogging. I appreciate your insights and the good links you often put out here for us.

Blessings and peace,
Lara N.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

Happy New Year right back atcha!

Roll, Nick, Roll?

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Have an even better 2007, David. By the way, watch Rachel Ray's cooking show. She's a hoot to watch. JW

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

David, I liked this column so much I completely ripped off your idea and did my own! Is it true that plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery?

Have a great new year, friend.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: books - I posted several times recently on Claiborne's book. It was great. Bell's book was very good, too, and I'd like to read both of those again. Miller was good as usual. I have "Left To Tell" on my "to-read" list, so maybe I'll get to it this year.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey davy,
How are you and Jan? Robert and I were looking at myspace and we ran across your blog. Glad to know everything is well with both of you. I love your blogs - very informative! Congrats on your meidical tests and the boys' engagements. Weddings are fun - probably more fun if you are the boy's parents but we haven't done that yet! We would love to get together with ya'll (we still live in the south) - call us sometime when you are in Florence. We are over there quite a bit visiting Dot. We are hoping to be able to travel more as Robert is not driving a truck anymore. Maybe we can get up to Searcy. Robert said Roll Tide although I am not sure why because there is not much rolling down there lately. We love to visit with your Mom and Dad whenever we get the chance.

Anywho...Happy New Year to you and yours.
Love, Robert and JA

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, one more thing
Jessi and some friends ran the 1/2 St. Judes Marathon also. She runs Cross Country for UNA. (The team enjoys watching the Harding guys and girls run AWAY with the honors -really! They make it look so easy!) Jessi and the girls are running a 1/2 marathon in Atlanta next. I think it is in March. Is Matt running in another one soon?
ja

 

Post a Comment

<< Home