Thursday, January 04, 2007

First Week of 2007

Here are some random thoughts from the first week of the year:

A) "Hail Mary fulll of grace, Notre Dame's in second place." I remember the first time I heard that. It was at a Bama game. Imagine that! :) Anyway, I love it when the Media's darling.......the Fighting Irish.......prove what everybody already knows. That they are OVER RATED! This team began the year as the #2 team in the country, even after getting killed by Ohio State in the bowl game last year. Notre Dame should have been in Music City bowl or Independence bowl instead of the Sugar bowl. They would not have finished with a winning season if they had played in the SEC. But watch what happens next year............they will be ranked high again in the pre-season polls. The bias for Notre Dame is another good motive for having a play-off system for College football. Prove how good you are on the field, not in the Northeast newspaper's sports section, Irish.

B) No, I am not crazy about Nick Saban. Why? Because I don't tend to like people I can't trust, and I for sure don't trust him. Do I think he will win? Of course he will. He's proven that already. And yes, I will like the winning part. I predict he will play for a National Championship within 4 years, and that is exciting. But I also hope he grows in his character, and that he will learn to be honest when asked a question. Mark Richt is my favorite coach in America right now. I think he is a GREAT coach, but even more important, I think he is a Christian with LOTS of character and integrity. Bama plays Georgia in 07.

C) It's nice to see history prove some people wrong. Many called for Gerald Ford's head when he pardoned Nixon. Those same people now are admitting they were wrong, and that Ford did the right thing for the country. I wonder if there is a lesson in there somewhere? Are you listening Keith Olbermann?

D) I am reading a Max Lucado book at present. Why does he only come out with ONE book a year?!?!?! I could never grow tired of the encouragement I get from reading one of his books. I will never forget reading him for the first time. The book was "No Wonder They Call Him the Savior". I couldn't put it down, and it opened up a whole new way to look at Spiritual things for me. I love Max Lucado.

E) It's still 4 months away, but you read it first here. Rick Atchley is coming to Downtown for a weekend in April! Ask me if we are excited. :) It will be similar to our Randy Harris weekend last year. Plan on coming to hear him the weekend of April 27th. You WILL be blessed!

7 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick Atchley is coming? I didn't remember that. That is FANTASTIC!!!
I remember Mike Cope saying that if he were on a desert island and could have only one book outside the Bible it would be "No Wonder They Call Him the Savior." Now, that was about 15-20 years ago. I don't know if it is still that high on his list, but it's one of only two books outside of the Bible that I have read more than once. And the other book was also Max Lucado.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I can cut Saban some slack...because he was talking to reporters...they can be ruthless and not care about your committments.

Roll Tide!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger David U said...

Do you really equate Nick with Bobby? Please say it ain't so! :)

DU

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
If you ever go to a home game at Notre Dame Stadium....you would understand.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger JP said...

Ohhhhh, David. Picking on my Irish.
Check out my blog for a response to your post brother.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Keith said...

When NBC sold their soul to Notre Dame a few years back, they forgot about one word that would make them very average in the near future...parity; any given Saturday and more good teams to share the wealth. The glory years are gone since the days of the Four Horsemen an Knute Rockne. I would still love to see a game in South Bend.
I believe Saban will grow on you. Maybe like a wart. Quite a fraternity we have in the SEC. Like the 'Ole Ball Coach' he's another I love to beat. Speaking of beating, sorry about the popknot my Hogs put on the Tide Saturday. Whoopigsooie!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,
You probably don't remember me, it's been at least a year (aprox) since I last read your blog. I recognized you from a comment somewhere esle. It's a small world!

Nice to "see" you again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home