Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Fallen Hero


I am pretty sure I mentioned in an earlier post about former HU Bison football player Micah Gifford being killed in Iraq. This weekend we had a memorial service for Micah on the campus of Harding. Many friends and teammates were here for the service. Several of those folks got up and told their memories of Micah. For me, the most powerful part of the service was when his parents went to the microphone to talk about their son who had been killed. Hearing them talk about their son, we were left with no doubts as to how much they loved him, or how much they will miss him. It was heart wrenching. But the thing that will always stand out to me about their separate talks will be the fact that both parents glorified God in their talks.......at a time when it would be so easy to be bitter. I didn't hear a hint of bitterness. It seems like it happens a lot to me these days, but that was another foot washing for me........and I am pretty sure it was also for the other several hundred folks who were there with me.

The following comments were made by Micah's father Dale at the memorial:


“As parents, we dream of all of us coming together for a wedding. We don’t prepare for something like this. You fought the weather to come, and we appreciate your presence. It speaks highly of your love for Micah. I want to thank Harding University for being the kind of a school that allowed my son to question his faith surrounded by many of you who helped him through. After Harding, Niki and Micah found each other and planned to marry in August. On an outing before he left, they were watching the Shamu show at Disneyland. He told of how they asked the men and women who were in the military to stand. Micah said that he felt uncomfortable because he was not a hero yet. Micah had been raised on Transformers and a Knight Rider Big Wheel. McGyver and the Terminator were his heroes. McGyver inspired his mullet that he wore too long. He thrived on the action in Top Gun, and his favorite movie was Braveheart. He loved the heroes from the Bible, David’s mighty men and firemen.
When Micah saw on the news the magnitude of the war and terrorists killing innocent Americans and children, he was deeply troubled about how wrong this was. Two days later, he joined the Army. The irony is we have received letters from two of Micah’s heroes: President George W. Bush and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Losing his life to terrorist bomber did not make Micah a hero. He had been a hero his whole life. He had a heart for others….from the church camps, youth groups, mission trips to Honduras and Mexico to talking to his fellow soldiers in Iraq about Christ. He wanted to learn the language so he could teach the Iraqi children. My son is gone, and there is one less hero in this room full of heroes. By helping others, you are hero. Micah kept telling me that I needed to get off my church pew and get out where people are hurting. He died in the pursuit of justice. We must be heroes of truth and mercy and fight the great wrongs. When the soldiers came to our door, our worst nightmare came to pass on December 7, 2006, but it is no way a tragedy for he is precious in the sight of the Lord. Christians need to declare war with truth and love on wrong teaching and wrong living. There is victory in truth and mercy in the name of our Lord.
Micah took three weapons with him to Iraq: a M16, a strong faith and a huge smile. He lives on in the lives of the Iraqi children and in our hearts. Nothing would make Micah happier than for us to get out of our pews and get into the field.”

May God richly bless and comfort the Gifford family. Thank-you God for giving us Micah for the time he was with us. We look forward to being united with you and him in the future.

16 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Dave,
Thanks so much for posting this. I had not been aware about this service, and I never got to know him, but the statement from his parents is very powerful. It reminds me again that when it's all said and done, having hope of eternal life means everything. I'll look forward to meeting Micah along with the rest of the crowd of faithful witnesses one day. Thanks again,
Mark <><

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger JD said...

powerful statement indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us. Many heroes are lost to us in this war...but how many are they saving? More than we probably will ever know.

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, Duncan ships to Parris Island on April 30th. Your post reminds us that this is serious business, but that many young men and women have stepped up to do the hard work for us. May God keep them safe and may they keep their honor and integrity intact, as did Micah.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger JP said...

David,

Thanks for this post, a true hero indeed. Tank Daniels, who is in my prayer group, was teammates with this young man. He brought to the prayer session a photo of him and a little biography and Tank just talked about him. What a story this Micah's life was.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Steve Puckett said...

This family will receive our prayers. Thanks for the words that give us some understanding of who he was.

When did your mom attend the Berea church? I was there in early 70's and mid 70's.

Peace.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I didn't know Micah like you and his team mates knew him, but the more I read about him the more he impacts me. I love his humor and his dedication to his countrymen is amazing. I wish I would have known him. God bless his precious family. They have maintained such a great attitude through this tremendous family loss.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger David U said...

Puck, my mom was there in the 30's and 40's.......a little before your time! Good folks down in them hollows of Mississippi, huh? Her last name was Wade.

thanks bro! See you at PU!

DU

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Steve Puckett said...

Yes, I believe there were some Wades there when I preached there. Probably related. I believe Berea is the oldest cofc in Mississippi or at least close.

Peace.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap jordans
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
coach handbags
skechers outlet
cheap jordan shoes
dolce and gabbana outlet
michael kors handbags
coach outlet store
new york giants jerseys
2017.6.15

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap snapbacks
true religion jeans
air jordan 4
cheap oakley sunglasses
asics shoes
christian louboutin shoes
new york knicks
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
nike huarache

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

boston celtics
canada goose outlet
nike outlet
saints jerseys
fitflops sale clearance
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
polo ralph lauren
new york knicks jersey

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

fitflops sale
coach outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
canada goose jackets uk
coach outlet
coach outlet store
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
pandora charms sale clearance
mt20180602

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0608
michael kors outlet
arcteryx jacket
uggs outlet
coach handbags
mbt shoes
oakley sunglasses
kappa clothing
michael kors outlet
hermes belt
michael kors outlet

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.8
coach outlet online
ralph lauren polo
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet
golden goose
ralph lauren uk
supreme clothing
true religion
golden goose
canada goose

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Get your lover back urgent effective love spell to win and get ex back my advise reveal you all to contact Dr Ogudugu for a genuine love spell on greatogudugu@gmail.com that work fast. here is my relationship story. my boyfriend told me it was over and walk away without any reasons, I was confuse and didn't know what to do. I was desperate, I want him back, I went over the internet looking for ways to get my boyfriend back. I read about many different ways of how to get ex back, but Dr Ogudugu caught my attention. I immediately contacted him and explained my problem to him. It was amazing and surprising that 11hrs after the urgent love spell was cast, my boyfriend called me and was begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Couldn't believe, but later after he came to my house and fell on his knees asking me to take him back am so happy that my love is back again. I am testifying on this forum just to let people know that Dr Ogudugu is real and genuine. don't hesitate to try him out. thank you Dr Ogudugu you are truly talented and gifted genuine spell caster. Contact him now if you need your girlfriend/boyfriend back or your girlfriend moved on to another man, do not cry anymore .. Dr Ogudugu is here to help out in relationship problem coz problem share is problem solve.
Email him at.... greatogudugu@gmail.com
whatsapp...+27663492930

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy shoes
balenciaga
yeezy supply
yeezy
golden goose
supreme clothing
adidsas yeezy
supreme hoodie
golden goose sneakers
balenciaga

 

Post a Comment

<< Home