Monday, February 26, 2007

Pilgrim Heart and the Oscars

My buddy Andrew Baker blessed me by giving me the book "Pilgrim Heart" by Darryl Tippens. I finished it this weekend, and I hope all of you will pick it up to read. It should go on your shelf next to the books by Dallas Willard, Richard Foster, and anybody else that writes about the spiritual disciplines. Every chapter in this book is good, but the chapter he does on the Lord's Supper is amazing! I hope Darryl keeps writing!

----------------------------------------------------------

I watched some of the Oscars last night. Jan and I use to go to a lot of movies, but we don't seem to make the time to do so much anymore. I like to rent them from time to time. Last night I was hoping "Little Miss Sunshine" would win an Oscar or two. That is one movie we went to see, and both of us really loved it. There is one scene where the little girl tells Alan Arkin she doesn't want to be "a loser", and his response is worth the price of the movie. Go see it if you haven't.

Anyway, watching the Oscars got me to thinking about my favorite movie scenes from all time, and here are some of them. I know I will be leaving some out, but this is a good start.

# 5 The scene in "The Power of One' where Peekay leads the African prisoners in singing the "Southland Concerto". It's beautiful because several tribes are singing in their own tongue, but harmonizing with the other tribes. Also, the prisoners are singing words of defiance to the Warden and others in power........right to their face. The irony of that along with hearing the Xhosa, Zulu, and other tribes singing is unbelievable!

# 4 The scene in "Forrest Gump" where Forrest is visiting Jenny's grave. There are any number of scenes from this movie that blow me away, but this one takes the cake. No matter how many times I watch it, I tear up when I hear him pouring his heart out. This is my favorite movie of all time.

# 3 The scene in "The Lion King" where Rafiki the baboon is telling Simba he has to forget the past and go on and follow in the steps of his father, Mufasa. Rafiki convinces Simba that his father's spirit lives on in him, and he must accept the responsibility of his destined role. Sound familiar? :)

# 2 Ahhh.......the court room scene in "To Kill a Mockingbird". Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch is hard to beat. The folks that played Tom Robinson, Mayella Ewell, and Bob Ewell were awesome also. If you have never seen this movie, you should go rent it TODAY!!!! I still remembering seeing it for the first time when I was a little boy in the early 60's. It's never stopped impacting me.

# 1 You know it HAS to be something to do with Africa, right? :) It's the scene in "Out of Africa" where Denys Finch Hatton (Robert Redford) takes Karen Blixen (Meryl Streep) for a plane ride in his new bi-plane. The cinematography in that scene will just about take your breath away, and then when they add the music of John Barry.......well, I really don't have the words to describe it. I don't think there is a more beautiful piece of footage in existence.

Ok, there are five from me.........let's hear from you! I left a BUNCH on the table, so give em to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Mathews brought us a lesson on Elijah yesterday at Downtown. Ask anybody that was there...........he was BRINGING IT!!!!!!!!!! I wish all of you could have heard it. Is your faith big enough to withstand a "Heavy Rain"? With God's help, it can be. Thanks Dave! You are a tremendous blessing to Downtown, just as are the other folks on the Ministry staff.

11 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord of The Rings: Return of The King. Aragorn's battle speech at the black gate.....

"Hold your ground! Hold your ground!

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers, I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day!

This day we fight!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!!!"

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger dutro said...

My three favorite scenes:
1)when the house falls on the witch in Wizard of OZ
2)when the monkeys fly in Wizard of OZ
3)"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!" from the Wizard of OZ

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger David U said...

Don, when is the last time you went to the movies? :) Dude, you need to get out more.

DU

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on Don's #3.

Others I like are:

The trial scene in A Few Good Men: "You can't handle the truth!"

I still laugh every time I see Bill Murray quote 18th century french poetry in Groundhog Day.

The restaurant scene in As Good As it Gets: "You make me want to be a better man."

The scene from A League of Their Own: "There's no crying in baseball!"

Gotta admit I like the restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally: "I'll have what she's having."

Also remember the first time I cried at a movie: The deathbed scene with Brian Piccolo & Gayle Sayers in Brian's Song. (Old Yeller getting shot is a close second)

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Not in any particular order.
5. In Saving Private Ryan, right after Captain Miller has told Private Ryan to "Earn this!", he stands at the cemetery with his family at the grave site of Captain Miller. He turns to his family and asks, "Have I been a good man?" (Man, tears well up in my eyes while I type this.)
4. I agree with Tim C., in a Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!!"
3. Here's an oldie, in Fiddler on the Roof, any scene where Tevye talks to God about his children.
2. Although I don't generally like Tom Cruise movies, in The Last Samurai he's asked, "How did he die?" Cruise's character says, "I would chose to tell you how he lived."
1. In the Field of Dreams, when Moonlight Graham stops at the first baseline contemplating what will happen if he steps over and helps Ray's choking daughter. It's not unlike Jesus stopping to contemplate His arrival on earth.

There you have mine. I could probably give you some more. I'll wait until I read some of the others.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Our Family said...

Okay, so here I am...one of your blog lurkers who rarely if ever comment. I hear my husband id-ed me to you at the retreat. I really do enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for being a blessing to so many...obviously to the people who comment! I'll have to think about my favorite scenes. There are several. :)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger David U said...

Thanks for commenting Deidre! I hope you will do so more often.

Channing did a GREAT job this past weekend, and I am going to mention it in a post really soon.

God bless you and your family,
DU

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Tim C... he stole my ideas!

I love the scene in Brian's Song where Gayle says, "I love you, Brian Piccolo."

Everyone in my family uses the line from Bonnie & Clyde, "Gotta flat tire, ain't got no spare."

Everyday that I live I use the line from Groundhog Day, "Just put that anywhere."

Pretty Woman where Richard Gere insists on good service because he is going to spend "obscene amounts of money" in the store.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger JP said...

# 4 The scene in "Forrest Gump" where Forrest is visiting Jenny's grave. There are any number of scenes from this movie that blow me away, but this one takes the cake. No matter how many times I watch it, I tear up when I hear him pouring his heart out. This is my favorite movie of all time."

I thought I was the only one, this IS my, overall, favorite movie of all time, I can not remember anyother moview in which I cried like a baby

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Traveling Woman said...

You recommend "Little Miss Sunshine"?! I guess we didn't see the same one you did. By the time the family was in the car we had heard enough filthy language and sexual references to make us ill. We turned off the DVD. I am glad you found something redeeming in this movie. We didn't get far enough along to. The language was disgusting and I felt bad that the little girl had to be exposed to such filth.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap nba jerseys
coach
mont blanc pens outlet
coach outlet
pandora charms
kate spade
ugg outlet
new balance shoes
michael kors
mont blanc pens
2017.6.14

 

Post a Comment

<< Home