Friday, April 20, 2007

The Barbarian Way

Steve Smith (Tulsa) and I exchange books just about every month. A couple of weeks ago he gave me one with the title "The Barbarian Way" by Erwin McManus. I already had several books that I had planned to read before he gave it to me, so I put it on the back burner till I got thru with the other ones. I picked this one up a few days ago....................oh my GOODNESS!!! As most of you know, I am a pretty consistent reader. This is the FIRST book in my life that the MINUTE I finished the book I started back at the front reading it again..........no April fools. So, get it and read it and then tell me what you think. I am going to give it to both of my boys and ask them to please read it. I hope it causes them to evaluate their faith walk, as it did me. I look forward to your feedback. Here is just a taste:

Somewhere along the way the movement of Jesus Christ became civilized as Christianity. We created a religion using the name of Jesus Christ and convinced ourselves that God's optimal desire for our lives was to insulate us in a spiritual bubble where we risk nothing, sacrifice nothing, lose nothing. Yet Jesus' death wasn't to free us from dying, but to free us from the fear of death. Jesus came to liberate us so that we could die up front and then live. Jesus Christ wants to take us to places where only dead men and women can go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a good trip this week! As I have said before, I get to be around the most wonderful people in the world in my profession. I consider it a special blessing. I was talking to a dad this week who has two boys at Harding, with two more on the way. He made this comment to me:

"I know Harding is not perfect, but I can't imagine my children being at any other college in this country. Their experiences there have had such an impact on who they are as
Christians, I don't how how we can put a value on that. We feel like we have been blessed way beyond our expectations".

I know ACU, Lipsomb, Freed, OCU, Pepperdine and all the other schools within our fellowship have parents who feel the EXACT same way...........and isn't that wonderful? I hope those very special Universities enjoy hearing comments like that as much as we do here in Searcy. God has blessed all of us!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The news about the killings at Virginia Tech broke while I was on the road. People gathered around public televisions to catch the news, and became very quiet. I guess we aren't beyond being shocked after all. Like you, my prayers are with all the hurting families involved.

Another prayer is "Lord, come quickly".

5 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Wow! I'm going to Amazon right now to order that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Hey David,

That's a great quote! The book sounds good.

Thanks for always being able to focus on the positive. It is wonderful that there are several options where a young person can grow in their faith as they complete their undergraduate degrees. Have a good week

Mark <><

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Greg said...

you should check out McManus' book, "Seizing Your Divine Moment". (The paperback version was retitled "Chasing Daylight".)

I actually enjoyed it more than "Barbarian..."

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose
yeezy shoes
goyard
jordan shoes
goyard
golden goose outlet
goyard handbags

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Retaining Wall Contractor Gilbert said...

Great readinng your blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home