Friday, February 11, 2005

Phillip Yancey

I think I have mentioned my love of reading. I confess that I need to be in the Word more. It's not that I am not in it, but I need to be in it MORE! Having laid those cards on the table, I want to let you know that I love to read ANYTHING that Phillip Yancey writes. He is one of my heroes. His book "What's So Amazing about Grace" REALLY REALLY impacted my life. If you haven't picked it up, get ahold of it somehow. I am currently reading one of his latest books "Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church". I am only about a third of the way thru, but it has impacted me. He talks about different people that were positive influences on his life, to counter the negative experiences he had with church. One of these people was Dr. Robert Coles. I don't have the time to relate what an amazing person Dr. Coles is........get the book and read for yourself. But I did want to tell one story he tells. Dr. Coles wanted to see if the theory that says religion dulls the moral and political indignation for things that are wrong was true or not. He concluded that this theory was a myth perpetrated by irreligious social scientists who had very little actual contact with people. One example he gives is the witness of a young man from the Civil Rights era of the mid 60's. Here is this young demonstrator's account. It is important to remember this person is from the deep south.....Birmingham, Alabama.

"I don't know why I said no to segregation. I'm just another white Southerner, and I wasn't brought up to love integration! But I was brought up to love Jesus Christ, and when I saw the police of this city use dogs on people, I asked myself what Jesus would have done.....and that's all I know about how I came to be here, on the firing line."


What firing line is Jesus calling you and me to? Doesn't true discipleship demand it?

4 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger believingthomas said...

I have to concur on Yancey. "Whats so Amazing about Grace" and "The Jesus I Never Knew" both are giant impacts on me.

I don't know if true discipleship demands it, but I think that true discipleship will get it. It being "the firing line".

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
ray ban sunglasses
ugg outlet
ugg outlet
ugg boots
adidas nmd
michael kors handbags wholesale
miami dolphins jerseys
cheap nfl jerseys
redskins jerseys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home