Thursday, May 24, 2007

Question Time

"The Barbarian Way" really rocked my world, and I haven't really been able to escape some of my initial reactions to reading it. As you can probably tell from my lack of postings, it has numbed me somewhat. Even while I was reading the wonderful Dallas Willard book, I still had "Barbarian" on my mind. If any of the rest of you have read it, I would welcome you to comment about how it affected you. Hopefully you won't feel as indicted as I felt while reading it. Without any doubt, I am for the most part what he calls "a civilized Christian". I gave the book to each of my boys, and on the inside I wrote each of them an apology for raising them to be civilized Christians, and I hope and pray they won't put another link in that chain with their children. I'm counting on them not to. I am both excited and scared as I start the process of trying to become "uncivilized" in my discipleship. Excited because I know God is going to surprise me with a lot of challenges and blessings. Scared because I've been domesticated for so long, I know it's going to be an uphill battle. I won't be able to make it on my own. Yes, I know HE is faithful, and will be there every step of the way with me. I hope some of you will go along on this journey with me too! Oh what a journey!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some questions that I have been wondering about the last week or so.


1) Do we REALLY need to be in Sunday School class THIS MANY YEARS?!?!? Is there anything I could be doing that hour that might further the Kingdom better? I don't mean to sound critial.........I'm just brain storming with all of you. Does anybody else feel this way? Oh, and by the way, I am in the BEST Sunday school class I have EVER been in my WHOLE LIFE.......taught by Monte Cox. I LOVE IT!!!!!!
I can't imagine being in a better class anywhere. But, I still have that question in the back of my mind.

2) Do I really need to be watching a TV show with the word "Idol" in it? I know, it's a clean show, and probably has some redeeming qualities. People are using their God given talents, and their voices for the most part are a blessing to listen to. There is no violence, sex, or cursing on the show......which is pretty hard to come by these days. I just wish it had another name besides "IDOL" in the title of the show. Or maybe that's EXACTLY what it should be named? Your thoughts, please!

3.) Why can't we stop ALL abortions, except when the mother's life is in danger? When I was teaching history, it never failed that when we were studying the Holocaust a student would raise their hand and ask the following question: "Mr. Underwood, how did people let that happen?" I never had a really good answer. My fear is that WE will be the people the kids will be talking about in 30 or 40 years when they ask: "Why did people not save those babies........those MILLIONS of babies?" Heaven help that teacher to know what to say. At this point, I think prayer is the best answer. No doubt it's been the best answer all along.

4.) Besides a human baby, is there anything more beautiful that a new little foal? Each spring Jan and I get to go love on a new one just a few blocks away! I'm addicted. If my ship ever comes in, I'm getting a brood mare and having me a little filly or stud colt EVERY year! I think Heaven will have to have horses, don't you?

I'll end on that upper, cause the rest of the post was more a stone than a diamond. Just being transparent with ya!

Hey, I could have ended by asking you what a "change agent" is? I was kinder than that. :)

7 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday School is better than "Preaching".

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not in Sunday School right now. I liked it when we had a service project class but it fizzled out, too.

What? you don't like baby birds?

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

I can see I have a new book to order....

I agree with you about Sunday School. For a while I was going to the nursing home on Sunday morning.....I think I need to do some of those things again.

Not that it is bad...just somewhat incestuous....

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

We did a couple of things with our Sunday School. We plainly made it optional (holding it during one of our three AM worship services) and also made it harder: taught by professors or professionals, required reading, homework.

Second thing: we realized that, for some of the older generation, this was the only "small group" they had. Our young married class has had the same people in it for twenty five years (no kidding). They aren't young anymore...but this is their small group and they miss their friends. Nothing wrong with that. We changed the name of the class and let it continue as is.

I just came back from the bird store. They had baby Quaker parrots as well as baby lovebirds and macaws. Awwwwwww.....

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I have this dream of finding a group of Christians in this town who'd be willing to go hang out in some public park or the laundromat or something. Maybe on a Sunday afternoon or morning (during class). Someone plays the guitar and a few of us sing all kinds of good songs (secular and religious). See if it draws anyone in need. I don't have it all fleshed out yet and haven't found the group of Christians yet. Like I said, it's just a dream I've had for a while. Maybe Patrick would come down and play guitar for us?!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Ain't nothin' wrong with Sunday School.

Ain't nothin' wrong with a car havin' two horns, neither.

- As long as you know to toot the loud one to keep some fella from gettin' killed ... and the soft one to just say "howdy."

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Keith said...

I'm high on you for giving that book to your boys. I've heard so much about it that I need to figure out a way to be a more diligent reader just so I can get in it. You did great by your boys, by the way. They are D-1. I'm still thinking about that phrase you shared with me this weekend...I'm sure its gonna require me to visit this preverbial "change agency."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home