Monday, March 27, 2006

Some Days Are Diamonds

"Some days are stones" Do you remember that John Denver song? Well this past Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were DIAMONDS! I attended my first "Tulsa Soul Winning Workshop".................and it was a tremendous blessing to me and thousands of other people also. I wish all of you could have been there too. On Friday night, there were some where between 6 and 10 thousand people in the Pavillion, and we sang for over an hour. Oh my goodness! If Heaven is going to sound better than that (I'm sure it will) then I am ready to go NOW! ASAP baby. Zoe was leading the time of praise and singing, and the songs were just so beautiful. Our brothers and sisters from the Christian church kept telling us how MUCH they love our singing. We'll just let them keep thinking that is how ALL our congregations sound EVERY Sunday! :)
All the speakers I heard were outstanding. I had not heard Max since he was at the College church here in Searcy back in the early to mid 80'S........and it was so good to be able to sit at his feet again. His message was very powerful. I had never heard Bob Russell from the Christian church, and he was equally as powerful as Max Friday night when they shared the stage together.
The message they brought was simply a Gospel plea.............let's make it as hard as we can for ANYBODY in our communities to go to Hell. There are many ways to do this, but one SCRIPTURAL way is to let the world see us working together instead of them seeing us act like enemies.

One good story I heard this weekend was about a reporter who went to a visit an institution for the mentally handicapped. When I was little, people used to call it "the crazy farm". Anyway, the reporter observed that many times there were only 2 or 3 employees overseeing about 150 or so patients. The reporter inquired as to how safe that was, and did the staff ever fear an uprising amongst the population? The person giving the reporter the tour gave this answer: " We never, ever worry about that. Guess why? Lunatics don't have enough sense to unite". If the shoe fits, wear it.

It was good to see many Harding folks at the Workshop! I saw Keith Brooks, Jim and Martha White, Ted Maple, Steve and Melody Smith, Tim Baur, Don Mclaughlin, Greg and Jill Taylor, Shawn and Arleen Mayes, and I am sure there many more. Of course we had several Harding grads as presenters, like Clint Davis, Stan Granberg, Mike Cope, and Randy Harris. I hope I didn't leave any presenter out! Several families from Searcy made the trip. It was a blessing to be there with my own minister and his wife, Dave and Debbie Mathews! The Davis's, Turleys, Spears, and Galyans were there also. It was an encouragement to see all of them there with their sweet families!

I plan on being there in 07........why don't you start making plans to be there too!

They will be Diamond days for sure!

7 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could we ever have a Searcy Workshop of that magnitude? (The Lectureship just doesn't cut it.) We wouldn't even have to have Zoe lead it, with the great singing around here. It could be tremendous. But some walls have to come down first. And God may be getting ready to do that - over some dead bodies.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I would love to go in 07!

We are planning on being at the event in Louisville in late June--I can't wait. I think we will be singing with guitars then--what's your prediction for the singing?? ;-)

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HU's 13-in-One Workshops (1970s-80s) drew several thousand, as did the Lectureship for many years. There were always special times of singing before the evening service, sometimes having a song leader like Ray Walker or Nick Boone.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

David, I look forward to spending much more time with you at Pepperdine. I knew you'd love it. I know your heart and this workshop was just a taste of heaven. I'll see you in May.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

I wish I could have been there! Our worship minister, Chris Lindsay, and his group, Watershed, were there to represent the Rochester Church of Christ. Hope you enjoyed them! I am speaking at the Michigan Christian Convention in a few weeks on the subject of "Saved for Unity." May the work God has begun in us bear much fruit in the decades to come.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

What's the event in Louisville? Is there a web site?

I think we all need to lobby the Tulsa folks to make sure that Patrick Mead is a keynote speaker next year.

--

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Michael Potthoff said...

This really was an amazing event. I just wish that those that "refused" to go would have been there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home