Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Annie May, Luke, and Other Thoughts

I attended the service for Annie May Lewis yesterday in Memphis. We lost a very special person last week. The testimonials to her servant heart were very moving and inspiring yesterday. I told someone that whenever we lose a giant like Annie May, I always think of the George Jones song "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" . I know God has done it many times in the past, and He will do it again.........another Annie May will follow in her steps. I just hope I get to meet her.

I got to see a lot of folks that I had not seen in MANY MANY years yesterday. Rodney Plunkett, the pulpit minister at White Station, led a prayer. Rodney's dad, Lamar, and my father were ministers at the Eastside congregation in Sheffield, Alabama in the 60's. Leon Sanderson led the singing, and I had not seen Leon for several years. Another of my dad's preaching buddies, Jimmy Moffett from the Raleigh congregation in Memphis, lead another prayer. I don't know if I had seen Brother Jimmy since the 60's. Jim Howard, Don Meredith, and Randy Harris all reflected on the life of Annie May, and all 3 did an outstanding job......duh. Randy is amazing. I know that word is overused, but he is just that.......AMAZING!

Continue to keep brother Jack in your prayers. I know the hole that is left by Annie May going on home is going to be a tremendous one to fill.

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all of you who continue to ask about Luke! He is doing good, and has even returned to work again. He is not loosing too much weight, thanks to a bunch of supplement drinks and soups. Dr. Hatfield thinks the wires will come off next week. Luke is going to have an appreciation for eating that he has NEVER had before! :) Thanks ALL of you for your continued prayers on his behalf.

------------------------------------------------

The NCAA Tournament is upon us again. The best thing about the games to me is all the upsets! I can't wait to see what Goliath falls to some David again this year. What are the odds two #16 seeded teams could meet in the finals? I would take just ONE of em making it that far! :) I wish they would, but I don't expect my Bama boys to go very far.........they are really young. I'm predicting Memphis has a really good run for the title. I am pulling for any team that is NOT in the ACC! GO BELMONT! :)

-----------------------------------------------

The Tulsa Soul-Winning workshop is NEXT week! How many of you are going? If Luke is up to me leaving, I will be attending it for the first time. I have been listening to tapes for YEARS from Tulsa, but this will be my first time to have the blessing of being there in person. I can't imagine a better theme. Sad to say it, but I get the feeling some folks hope it is a flop. If God is not a part of it, it will be. If it is a success, it will be because HE was glorified and HIS spirit was there. I want to be anywhere He is. How about you?

5 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

David, you need to go to the Tulsa Workshop. Since you talked me into Pepperdine, I'll talk you into Tulsa. Thousands singing together. This year's theme on unity. Hearing people like Mike Cope, Bob Russell, Max Lucado, Jeff Walling, Alan Dunbar (Don't miss him. He's great!) Plus you will see people you haven't seen in years. It's a little bit of heaven on earth. And you get to eat at Casa Bonita. There's a blast from our past!!

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, is "blast from the past" a pun when thinking of Casa Bo?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jim Martin said...

David, thanks for this report about Annie Maye's funeral. I took her Intro to Grad study (as so many, many of us did)years ago. She introduced me to the rigors of graduate work. I will always appreciate her.

Haven't seen Lamar in years. He was always very kind to me during my Alabama years.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Have fun in Tulsa. We expect a full report. I've never been, but I am especially interested in how this year turns out. While you're there I'll be speaking at two small churches, one in Ohio and one in Virginia. So -- safe journeys to us both, my friend, and happy St. Patrick's Day.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

I used to go to the tulsa soul winning workshop! good memories..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home