Monday, February 13, 2006

Random Thoughts

I was on the road in Oklahoma again last week, and was blessed to spend time with a lot of wonderful people. It's such a blessing to be with God's people all over the western part of the US where I travel. I feel like I have been renewed by spending time with them each time I go. It's always good to be home, but I love my travels also.

-------------------------------

Several good comments that I have heard lately and stuck with me:

"Where did we get the idea that we are called to renew the New Testament church?"

"One main difference between Christians of the early church and Christians today is that the early Christians EXPECTED to be transformed. We don't expect it, and most of time don't act like we want it."

"When are we going to quit talking about DOING CHURCH and talk about DISCIPLESHIP?"

-------------------------------

Go to your local video store and rent "Yesterday". It's about a young South African mother and her fight against AIDS. She is a single mom, with a special little daughter named "Beauty". Have the kleenex handy.

------------------------------

What is the most romantic song you could play for the special person in your life tomorrow on Valentines Day?

------------------------------

Several people have inquired as to my take on the newly published "Core Beliefs" in the Harding quarterly magazine. I am glad that there are principles and beliefs that Harding wants to uphold. I think that is one thing that makes private Christian schools special. Obviously, like EVERY person does, I feel stronger about some of those core beliefs than I do about others. Jesus even told us there are weightier matters.

----------------------------

Westminster Dog Show tonight and tomorrow night........YEE-HAW!!!! Hey, there is not much to watch since football season is over, and the NCAA BB tournament is not until March. UGH! I'll get interested in Major League Baseball about August.

11 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most romantic song? You mean, of coursxe, in addition to "Sexual Healing" and "Let's Get it On?" I still don't think you can beat JT and "You've Got a Friend." Unless it's "If" by Bread or Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" or his "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song." Or Fogelberg's "Longer." There. These are my one song.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

I was in OK last week, too--great place--really.

Most romantic song--"Sister Golden Hair".

Amen--let's be disciples!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

The song I think about when I think about my wife is Dan Fogelberg's "Longer." She says when she thinks of me the song that comes to mind is "If I Had A Hammer." Is that a bad thing?

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger dutro said...

My late uncle Wilbur's favorite song was "You stole my wife, you horse thief". I can't imagine it gets much better than that.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Christians today vs then...we seem to walk around thinking we have arrived, looking at those around us with an air of "Don't you get it?" I long to be a paddler and not a drifter.
Song-"Killing Me Softly"

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Have you seen "Best in Show," the movie about the dog show? Hilarious...

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, as always, but I'm with Keith on Roberta Flack and "Killing Me Softly." It was years and years ago - like January 1973 - but I still remember where I was exactly when I first heard that song, then bought the 45 and listened to it at least 1 million times.

It was way before I met Tom, but that has to be the all time best love song for me, at least. For lots of reasons.

Thanks for the question and the memories, David.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger David U said...

For those wondering, I have a few favorite romantic songs. "How Can I Tell You" by Cat Stevens is one. Another is "You're My Latest Greatest Inspiration" by Teddy Pendergrass. My guess is none of you have ever even heard it. It is a KEEPER! :) And of course, I have to have a JT song in the mix. How about "If I Keep My Heart Out of Sight". Another classic.

And Nancy, "Best in Show" IS a HOOT! :)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger dutro said...

I heard that "killing me softly" was written after Roberta Flack heard Don McLean in concert, and the whole thing is about what an insightful songwriter he was (is). I don't know how to check that story out, but it sounds good to me. A little less romantic that way, but I think it's accurate.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger dutro said...

Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel wrote "Killing Me Softly", for Lori Lieberman after Lori had seen Don McLean in concert. So the song was about Don, but it wasn't written by or for Roberta Flack. So just remember the next time you are swept off your feet by Killing Me Softly that it is an "attaboy" to Don McLean by two other male songwriters. Sort of ruins the mood, huh?

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

David,
Since this is a random post let me throw out this random suggestion that you visit my blog and read this. As a Crimson Tide kind of guy, I think you'll like it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home