Monday, January 30, 2006

Mom, Celine, and Neal

Mom is doing much better, and I want to thank each of you for your prayers. She got cards from people who evidently read this blog that I have never met or heard of! What a blessing you are! Thanks for caring enough to do that. THAT, my friends, is a modern day foot washing for sure! God bless you.

---------------------------

A few months back, Joe Beam was at Downtown to help us kick off our "Celebrate Recovery" program. As usual, he did an excellent job. In his talk that night, he talked about how sometimes secular songs need to be sung at church because of the great lyrics they have that apply to our Christian walk. He was trying to encourage us to be caring with those who struggle with different weaknesses and addictions, and he used the song "You've Got a Friend".......one of my all-time favorites. We even sang it that night as a community of believers.......letting those who are hurting know that we are there for them. Since that night, I have tried to be more aware of secular songs that could be used in spiritual ways.
Last night as we were coming home, I heard Celine Dion singing "Because You Loved Me". WOW! No explanation needed. Here are some of the lyrics:



I lost my faith, you gave it back to me

You said no star was out of reach

You stood by me and I stood tall

I had your love I had it all

I'm grateful for each day you gave me

Maybe I don't know that much

But I know this much is true

I was blessed because I was loved by you

You were my strength when I was weak

You were my voice when I couldn't speak

You were my eyes when I couldn't see

You saw the best there was in me

Lifted me up when I couldn't reach

You gave me faith 'coz you believed

I'm everything I am

Because you loved me

You were always there for me

The tender wind that carried me

A light in the dark shining your love into my life

You've been my inspiration

Through the lies you were the truth

My world is a better place because of you

You were my strength when I was weak

You were my voice when I couldn't speak

You were my eyes when I couldn't see

You saw the best there was in me

Lifted me up when I couldn't reach

You gave me faith 'coz you believed

I'm everything I am

Because you loved me

------------------------

Neal Whitlow has a new blog site. Check it out. I think we will all be interested in what all has gone on in his life this past weekend. Here is his new address:

http://emergerestorekansas.blogspot.com/

Hope everybody has a great start to this week and the month of February!

4 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Joyce said...

I'm Jayme's mom. Just came here from her blog to thank you for your prayers for them. They have experienced so much hurt and I feel inadequate to help them--so I am grateful that there are more than just me praying for them!!

Bless you.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

Of all the things I thought I'd find on this blog today, a Celine Dion song was not in the top hundred. :)

Sorry to hear about the health issues...

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Celine Dion's okay, but James Taylor is the man! I am a holdover of the 60's and 70's, have a house full of acoustic guitars, and was once one of those guitar toting kids on campus (the Manic Depressive Minstrels). We have used a lot of new movies as lesson starters/applications. I think we may need to look at some of the music, too. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home