Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mom

It's been a week since I have posted anything, because we got a call last week that my mom had fallen and broken her arm. So, we have been in Florence, Alabama since Friday trying to help my folks. We got back to Searcy late last night. My dad is pretty much an invalid, so my mom takes care of him. Therefore, when something like this happens, there are two people to take care of. It's hard to be four and a half hours away! Some of you have had a LOT more experience with this than I have.
The 5 days we were there it was pretty much non-stop as far as taking care of things.
And this sounds weird, but what a blessing! Except for feeling bad for mom and dad, those are some of the best 5 days I have had in a LONG time. Serving blesses you a LOT more than is blesses the people you are helping! Why is it so hard to remember that? Why do we default to selfish motives so many times? This was a wake up call to me about how much joy there is in serving. I hope I don't need another one anytime soon.

My mom would love any encouragement she can get. If you want to drop her a card, the address is:

Myra Underwood
2004 Saxton Drive
Florence, Alabama 35630

Prayers on behalf of her and my dad will be appreciated more than I can express.

Oh.........and Happy New Year everybody! I hope 2006 is great for all of you.

6 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I need to send my mother over to help? I wish I'd known you were so close - I'd have come by to meet you!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger David U said...

Thanks for the offer, TL. I think we've got all the bases covered. I appreciate you caring enough to ask!

In HIM,
DU

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Thanks for the reminder of service.

It is too easy to forget.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Larry said...

Prayers on behalf of your parents will certainly be in my petitions before our creator.

My 87 year old mother lives with me, and I do know the blessings one receives helping others...as well as the hard work :)

We often take a lot for granted until something goes wrong; then with a rush the awesome "wake up call."

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's difficult to be so far away. I'm thankful you had those few days of more intense service to those who gave you physical life.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

Hey, buddy, make sure you take care of Mom. Treasure every moment. Ask questions that you wanted to ask. A time will come (is coming) when you can't do that this side of eternity. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but just a reminder from one who can't do that anymore. JW
By the way, the Stokes wedding was something to behold. It was fun to be with Bobby and Jayme. It wasn't long enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home