Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Chifforobe

I am pretty sure I have blogged about "To Kill a Mockingbird" before. It was on AMC last night, and I never get tired of watching it. I still say the courtroom scene where Tom Robinson is on trial for the rape of Mayella Ewell is one of the most powerful scenes in movie history. ALL of those folks should have won an Academy Award! The guy that played Mayella's dad, Bob Ewell, did such a great job...you wonder if he was really only acting! Growing up in the deep south, I knew several men that were very much like him.......but I knew more that were like Atticus Finch. Thank God I did. Ok, here is the question of the day. In the court room scene, both Mayella and Tom talk quite a bit about a "chifforobe". Do any of you good ole southern folks remember what a chifforobe is? No fair asking grandma, either. I had a guess, and when I looked it up, I wasn't too far off. But I didn't nail it either. When is the last time you heard the word "chifforobe" used?

--------------------

How many of you can relate to being brought up to be very religious, but not all that much emphasis was placed on being spiritual? Reflecting back, I know I probably was guilty of that at times with my two boys. How many of you are in churches that seem to have that same set of priorities? Religion versus Spirituality? I am convinced they DON'T have to be at odds with each other. But I also know which one should come first.

8 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger dutro said...

I know what a chifforobe is.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I have no idea what a chifforobe is, but I was born and raised in the cold, beautiful north.

However, I do know what it's like to be brought up to be religious, with little emphasis on being spiritual. I also know which one should come first, but it is still a battle at times.

--

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I have always heard about chifforobe..{I wonder how "The Lion the Witch and the Chifforobe" would sound}

Unfortunately I know all too much about being religious and not being spiritual, and unfortunately I still fail...years of conditioning!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Our LIFE Groups have been studing case studies about "Religion vs. Spirituality" all this fall.

Our congregational care minister (and former preaching minister) Nick Hamilton once stunned a Sunday crowd more than twenty years ago by opening his sermon with the words "I am sick to death of religion."

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger David U said...

Jeff, sorry I sounded like I was excluding people from the North with my question. I made the mistake of assuming that "chifforobe" was a Southern term.....and it probably isn't. Again, forgive me!

Keith, thanks for the link bro!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I know what a chiffarobe is. I like that word! But I'm with Donna... "The Lion, the Witch, and the Chiffarobe" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Mark Elrod said...

DU: I think we may have been watching Mockingbird together the other night. It is a just-about-perfect movie and like you, I can't resist watching it when it is on AMC.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger jamie riley said...

I like the word chifforobe, but I'm sure I've never used it in a sentence.

I'm blessed to be in a church family that tries to stay focused on a right relationship with God.

I think it's easier to be religious, it doesn't ask as much of us.
Being spiritual, on the other hand, begs to go much deeper, and makes you vulnerable in many ways. But the relationship that is developed with God is a wonderful reward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home