Thursday, November 03, 2005

Get Rich or Die Tryin

I guess you've seen it too......all the ads for the movie that is the title of today's post. Is there a better description of what most people value in our society today? It's just an opinion, but I think it pretty well captures the mind-set of most of the people that live in the American culture of 2005. I don't think it is exclusive only to those who are "rich"......I think poor people have the same agenda, which is to accumulate wealth. If I am not mistaken, I think this movie comes from the perspective of people "tryin" to get out of the poverty of the inner city. So don't tell me it is only the rich who are trying to get richer. Materialism is our god......and it has been for several decades now in America.

Here is my question: As the people of God who are called out of the world to be light and salt while they are in the world, can the world see a difference in us?
Oh, I know they can see a difference in a LOT of other areas, but in this ONE area......where they see what you value as your REAL treasure and what you value the most, are we different enough to make them want to ask "Why do give most of your money away?" or "Why is your church always helping the helpless?" or "Why are you living is such a crummy house?" or "Why do you have poor people on your Board?" or "Why do you dress like you are homeless?" . Has anybody asks you these or similar questions lately? They haven't asked me.

So, again I ask......as Christians, are we really that much different than the average Joe Schmo when it comes to materialism?

If this movie is from a world view, what would the title of the movie be from the Christian perspective?

I'm thinking something like "Whether You Have Money or Not, You Can Die Rich". But do our actions show we believe that? Sorry to confess, mine don't lots of times.

How about you?

7 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Its ironic that your post is a take on this movie's title because I was disturbed by it when I saw the ad earlier this week. If I were inner-city folk, I would be appalled at the theme and the message that this movie and 50cent is sending. Just the clip alone showed nothing but bling, shooting, rage, sex, greed, anger, trippin cars, etc. Nothing honorable, noble, genuine. It seems to say that only inner-city kids can be successful if
they land a recording contract, an athletic scholarship, jack a car,or win the lottery. How about just being a grocery clerk, a delivery person, a nurse, a security guard. The almighty dollar is the message of the film and the motivation for living large. Anything short of that is deemed a failure. What percentage of inner-city kids are going to get that lucky,(define lucky!)The message should be "Live Like You Were Dying," one of your favorites as I remember. That should be the christians mission as well. Live every day, as if it were your last day to honor and glorify the King.
KR
p.s. can't wait to see the film!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I am afraid that I too lack the personal differences that would make someone ask me about my lack of trust in money. I know I need to work on that.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

This is one area where I think I am just learning how important it is to be *different*. The questions you ask here make a very good point. No one has asked me those questions personally--and I am not proud of it!

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger dutro said...

I don't think I'll have time to see the movie. I'm too busy with my MLM part time (3rd) job, setting up my downline. By next year this time, I should be a diamond level 3-tier upper 4 star eschelon with 55% returns on my first level organization, 33% on every one below, and can I come over to your house and show how you can alienate your friends, too?

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

"Why do you dress like you are homeless?"

>> Actually, uh... my personal hygiene was not so good while I was writing my book 24 hours a day, so my husband MAY have said that to me once or twice..

:)

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

I don't know how to answer your question without sounding self-righteous and self promoting, I am a Christian and try to live like one, I have been asked why do you live in a single wide trailer house, when you make more money than I do.that was when I owned a construction company a small one but non-the-less some still ask me where it all went I don't tell them I gave most of it away, but we did I can sleep in that same house knowing I can't do more than I do without depriving my family.
now you can call me self-righteous

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger David U said...

Laymond, you don't sound self-righteous to me, brother! You sound very Christ-like! Thanks for sharing with us.

DU

 

Post a Comment

<< Home