Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What Do You Default To?

Take a step back today and ask yourself this question.........."When I am in a discussion with someone I disagree with, what do I usually default to?" Gotta say, I usually turn to sarcasm. Maybe not the best choice, but it for sure could be worse. At least it's not anger, hatefullness, disrespect......etc. In my disagreement, I am called to still remember who I am, and WHOSE I am. I am called to speak the truth in love. I can see where sarcasm could be interpreted as NOT being very loving! At the same time, we can see times where Jesus used the same method. "Oh that's great......you want to tell somebody to get the eye-lash out of their eye, and you are walking around with a 2 x 4 sticking out of your eye socket".
My paraphrase. But if that is not sarcasm, I don't know what is! Of course, Jesus had all wisdom.........therefore could afford to use sarcasm. I don't think any of us have attained wisdom to that level yet......at least I haven't.

Because of my use of sarcasm, someone this week referred to me as "Erasmus". I wanted to quote one of my all time favorite philosophers, Earnest T Bass, and reply "I got an Erasmus, I bet you ain't never got no Erasmus!" :) But, I refrained. Probably best to err on that side, huh?

So, bloggin community.........what do you default to? C'mon, put the dirty laundry out there for us to see. Mine is hangin there already, and needs some company.

8 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger dutro said...

God, Himself, (note the capitalized pronoun!) even used sarcasm with Job, i believe.

"Where were you when I..."
"You instruct me, now..."

As for me, I tend to default too quickly to judging people's motives instead of just looking at actions and trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I'll just let that one stand like that.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger TD said...

David,

God has been humiling me big time with my use of sarcasm. Working with high schoolers keeps me in check. I know we all need to be careful. Thanks for your post.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Sarcasm is a challenge of mine. I also tend to default to seething silence.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Donna G said...

Sarcasm is a character flaw I have perfected, yet I don't think I use it so much when someone disagrees with me...Unless they are a mis-guided Auburn fan. OK, maybe I do use sarcasm, but I also use the silent treatment.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Paul Coughlin's new book "No More Christian Nice Guy" has a section in it on Jesus' use of sarcasm and slams. It is like any other form of communication or power -- it neutral. We can shine or sin depending on how we use it. Besides, as I tell my wife, I am not sarcastic. I merely have a razor sharp, British style sardonic wit....

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I can't shake the sarcasm, but I'm working on supplanting it with questions. They work better with my kids, who don't always understand sarcasm.

*Is that really a good idea?
*How did you come up with that idea?
*Do you have both hemispheres of your brain turned on today?

See; even my questions get tainted with sarcasm ....

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, air max, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, nike free, coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, coach outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet, burberry outlet, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses cheap, chanel handbags, gucci outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, air max, christian louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet stores, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nfl jerseys, ugg pas cher, mont blanc, nike huarache, vans shoes, ghd, asics running shoes, north face outlet, valentino shoes, canada goose, chi flat iron, ugg, lululemon outlet, canada goose, celine handbags, mac cosmetics, p90x, instyler, canada goose uk, babyliss pro, wedding dresses, ferragamo shoes, canada goose jackets, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, canada goose, nike roshe run, north face jackets, insanity workout, canada goose outlet, hollister, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, ugg boots, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, rolex watches, marc jacobs, beats by dre, ugg boots, mcm handbags, birkin bag, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo outlet, ugg australia, uggs outlet, soccer shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home