Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Saint Patrick

I really don't know a lot about the concept of "saints". The fellowship I belong to did not put an emphasis on saints, and I think the motivation was a noble one. Like most of you, I hope our emphasis is always on the Father, Christ, and the people of God we read about in Scripture. Having said that, we know there have been Godly men and women that have come along to impact many lives for the Kingdom, post Bible times. Many are amongst us today! We don't shy away from talking about Barton W Stone, Alexander Campbell, T.B. Larimore etc. So when I read about people who came before me that impacted the world for the Lord, I am thankful for them. I don't know diddly squat about Saint Patrick. I want to know more. I know my nephew has the same name, so I am already prejudiced to like him. But here is part of a prayer that he is famous for. I thought of it when I was reading Patrick Mead's wonderful post yesterday. If you haven't read it yet, stop reading this one at once and go read it. You will be blessed, promise. I wonder if Patrick's naming was inspired at all by St. Patrick? Anyway, I hope this quote from a prayer of St. Patrick encourages you today. It has blessed me.

----------------

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

5 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

That is a great prayer~!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

David, you are too kind to me! I have posted the entire St. Patrick's Prayer on my blog this morning after so many requested it. I have a collection of over three thousand Celtic prayers in Scots Gaelic, Irish, Manx, Welsh, Latin and...uh... English. Every aspect of the day was marked by prayer, even washing clothes, lighting the fire, and lying down to sleep.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

I love this prayer, and it helps with my "new" venture to become a disciple of Jesus as described by Dallas Willard in the Divine Conspiracy. Surely if I think of Christ in every aspect of my life this will become easier...

Speaking of DW,in January you had started Renovation of the Heart (was re-reading my blog??) How did you like it? Is it as good as Divine Conspiracy?

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger David U said...

Donna, "Renovation of the Heart" was a REALLY REALLY hard read for me. It is deep, and I mean all the way to China deep. But, there is some wisdom there for sure. I did not glean as much from it as I did "Divine Conspiracy", nor enjoyed it as much either. I hope he does another book soon. I want to find Donald Miller's new book as fast as I can get my hands on it! :)

Thanks for asking.......and ROLL TIDE ROLL!

DU

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

Yes I forgot....Rolllllllll Tide!! Roll!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home