Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Chronicles of Narnia

Mike's post this morning on his blog got my nostalgia going in full force! I hope all of you have had the blessing of reading C.S. Lewis's classic series about Narnia.
If not, stop what you doing and go get them. They will bless you.

I commented on Mike's blog today about my memories concerning these wonderful books.
I won't repeat that whole comment, but I just wish I could communicate in words how full my heart gets when I think about these rich books, and my experiences with them.
They aren't "just books" to me.........they are full of life and all the things that go with living. I know part of the attachment is connected to what was going on in my life at the time, a very enchanted time in Nigeria. It is hard for me to separate the two. For all practical purposes, I remember visiting TWO very special places in 1965.....Nigeria and Narnia. Edmond and Peter were as much a part of my life as David Farrar and Billy Rees Bryant were. I was just as infatuated with Susan and Lucy as I was Marty Farrar and Sara Jo Bryant. When I went on preaching trips with my dad way back in the bush, I also was traveling on the "Dawn Treader" with Eustace and Reepicheep. Get the picture? I got two for one.....with EVERYTHING! I don't know that I realized how blessed I was. How blessed I AM!

I found an old friend in the top of the closet last week....the original set the Bryant family gave us in 1965 shortly after having arrived in Onicha Ngwa. The only thing that could motivate me to part with them would be to save the life of a family member or close friend......otherwise, don't ask. There is not enough money in Vegas to buy them from me. Not THIS set. They are staying with me, until my grandchildren want them.

And the stories they will tell......about Grandaddy's Narnia books from Nigeria! :)
The circle of life.
Always circling Him.

4 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan introduced me to C.S. Lewis after we got married. Went to C of C all my life and Memphis Harding Academy for 7 years and had never heard of Clyde Staples Lewis. Since then I have been captivated by the final chapter of the final book..."further up and further in."

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Steve said...

My Uncle, Ron Duer, introduced me to them. I still have that set and am reading them to my 5 year old now. My 9 year old just finished reading them by herself.

They are great books. If you get a chance, I have asked some questions about favorite book, character and quote on my blog. I would love to have your input.

Happy belated Birthday.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those times too. Davy Underwood and Shasta are intertwined memories from the 60s.

billbryant@rap.midco.net

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2015-10-7 xiaozhengm
Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online Official
celine bag
Abercrombie Short T-Shirts
michael kors outlet online
Designer Louis Vuitton Handbags Online
uggs on sale
Louis Vuitton Bags Original
michael kors handbags
Jordan Retro 13 Pink And Grey
Air Jordan Shoes For Women And Men
hermes bags
Jordan Retro 8 Playoffs
michael kors bags
Abercrombie and Co Stoves and Awnings
Red Bottom Shoes Christian Louboutin
Authentic Coach Factory Outlet Online
ugg boots on sale
Louis Vuitton Backpack Purse
ralph lauren
fitflops
Louis Vuitton Outlet Factory Online
hollister uk sale
louis vuitton outlet stores
Authentic Louis Vuitton Monogram Handbag
Michael Kors Outlet Online USA Stores
louis vuitton handbags
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
Air Jordan 4 Green Glow
true religion outlet
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale Cheap
Authentic Gucci Factory Outlet
cheap jerseys
Louis Vuitton Outlet High Quality
canada goose jackets
Louis Vuitton Neverfull GM Monogram
louis vuitton outlet stores

 

Post a Comment

<< Home