Sunday, January 15, 2006

Pepperdine, Oklahoma and Craig

I have been on cloud nine since about Wednesday of this past week. I received my new program for the 2006 Pepperdine Lectureship! UNBELIEVABLE! Let me give you an example of one of the classes I plan on attending......"Sex and Baptism: Reflections on the Moral Vision of the Jesus Story". What's there not to be excited about?! :)
The theme this year is "Life Together: The Heart of Love & Fellowship in I John".
Outside of the Gospels and Romans, I John is probably my favorite book in the New Testament. I don't know about you, but I didn't grow up hearing I John being quoted very much. I think it was too "touchy feely".....not enough "sound doctrine" being taught by our brother John. It has become VERY precious to me over the past 20 years or so. I continue to grow in my appreciation of this wonderful, powerful book the more I read it. I thank Jerry Rushford and his staff for having the vision to select this theme for 2006, a year when many are going to try and fellowship in places where there have been walls for many years. I believe God is bringing us back together.......it's way past time. I am glad to see Harding well represented this year at Pepperdine. Two Alums, Don McLaughlin and Rich Little, will deliver key note talks. Several of our Alums, two being Randy Harris and Mike Cope, will again teach classes. Current Bible faculty going to teach classes are Monte Cox and Paul Pollard. For the 3rd year in a row, we will have a Harding reception for all HU alums who attend so they can come and reconnect with old friends and classmates. I will probably be talking about this more (duh) as that time draws closer, but I hope all of you will consider going this year. It only cost a little over $100 to stay for 4 nights! Start saving now!

I will be on the road in Oklahoma the first part of this week, so probably no more posts for me for several days. It's been over a month now since I have been on the road, and I am looking forward to being with some wonderful people, and listening to some good sermons on CDs as I drive. Life is good.


I know a lot of talented people, but I don't know if I know anybody more talented than Craig Jones. The guy is an amazing worship leader, Bible teacher, choral director, church leader, actor, play director, basketball clock keeper, assistant baseball coach, and he does unbelievable impressions. The guy is SOMETHING ELSE!
No telling how many thousands of kids that have come thru Harding Academy these past 30 years have had their life changed by him. I count it a blessing to be able to call him a friend and brother! Craig was probably the first peer to really show me a heart trying to follow Jesus. I had seen it in older people, but never really from a friend the same age as I was. It impacted my life from that point to the present, and he still impacts me now! Thanks Craig! I love you!

Thank you God for Pepperdine, good folks in Oklahoma, and for friends like Craig Jones.

13 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger jettybetty said...

The Pepperdine lectureship sounds great! I may have to check it out!

Have fun in my home state of Oklahoma! Lots of good people there!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Karen said...

David, I hope Jim White will introduce us there... now that you and the rest of his gang have just about convinced him to come!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had Craig Jones as a Chorus director for 4 years at HA from 82-85, and also as my Bible teacher for one year. He was my favorite teacher there. When I graduated from HA, I missed him as much as anyone. He's the best.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger dutro said...

I have asked Craig to work up the Harding Alma Mater in Elmer Fudd voice.
"Neaw the foot-hiws, of the Ozawks, midst of hiw and pwaaaaiiiiiiinnnnn.."

However, I don't really think I want him to sing it that way. No one who ever heard it would be able to sing it again with a straight face. I still can't read "T'was the night before Christmas", without hearing Jeff Hopper and Dr. Burks, all because of Craig. Thanks for making us laugh, Craig.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger dutro said...

p.s. Do you remember the Pizza Hut ads from Jones and Pounders during chapel in the 70's. I can still hear Craig as Avon Malone reciting "When I proudly told the waiter, Some of Thick, and Some of Thin!"

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

I remember when Craig and Micky Pounders would do a Billy Graham, instead of a telegram, i.e. Using a Billy Graham voice they would make an announcement by saying, "This morning we have a Billygram."

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger dutro said...

Jim, I remember those, too. "Busloauds and busloauds will be coming towahd the front of the auditorium!"

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

I've not had the opportunity to meet or be entertained by Craig Jones, but you're making me want to make the trip just for that!

Enjoy your time with those good Okies!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Keith said...

HOYT to all of the above accalades for Craig. He is "top shelf."
KR

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

My fam is going to the lectureships, because my sister Amy sings in that Zoe group. they keep asking us to go...

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said...

"Young people come to me every day and say, Billy ...." And, of course, Craig standing behind him was translating Mickey Pounders' pompous, on-target delivery into Portuguese for all of us who were glad we didn't skip chapel those days.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger 2coopers said...

ROLL TIDE!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Joshua Brewer said...

Mr. Jones inspired us all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home