Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I'm The World's Greatest Expert

Yeah, I am. I am the world's greatest expert on one thing...........what I believe.
Or, what I am thinking. NOBODY is a greater expert concerning these matters. Randy Harris shared that with some folks one day, and it has stuck with me. And dad gummit, he's right.

Nobody outside of Searcy is going to understand what I am about to say, but just check back in a few days and I will have a new post. Or maybe something similar is going on in your neck of the woods, and you can relate.

I believe I have been exposed to a great degree of inward focus lately. It all started with "Mr. Stranger". I'll spare you the details, but let's just say Mr. Stranger probably won't be visiting any of "our" churches in the area again anytime soon. Why would he? The guy he visited with never took the time to even ask him his name, let alone get to know him. Mr. Stranger left with the impression that one of God's big concerns is the use of the term "Pastor". Too bad he never got introduced to a Savior named Jesus. All it could cost him is....... eternity. The great Biblical themes of the Lord's Supper being taken every Sunday and Instrumental Music took precedence over Christ. Huh? Is that the Gospel? Is that the message we want to be known for bringing? Mr. Stranger, call me anytime day or night and let's go get some pie and something to drink. I have some good news for you, and I want to know all about what's going on in your life. I am sure you would be a blessing to me, and I hope I would be one to you also. I promise you one thing, I'll know your name when we get through.

Am I thankful for the leaders of the "Restoration Movement"? You bet I am! I wish we had more leaders like that today. Am I any more thankful for them than the leaders I perceive doing the SAME things today? Not a chance. I am thankul to God for all of them equally. And I don't appreciate ANY of them to the level I appreciate Peter, James, Paul and other church leaders we read about in the New Testament. But going even further, I don't appreciate any of those people to the level I appreciate the Father or His Son, Jesus Christ. He alone holds ALL.....yep I will say it again......ALL of my allegience.

That's all this expert has to say about that.

9 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Donna G said...

But that was saying a mouthful.

Thanks for reminding us of how we strain at a gnat and swallow a camel!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger 2coopers said...

Uncle Dave,
Got to see your youngest son last night and we had a great time til the last minute of the game. Got a picture up on my blog with him in it. Roll Tide!
I stopped by your office a couple weeks ago...didnt know if DE told you or not. I'll stop by again sometime...later, cooper

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

DU--
I am outside of Searcy but I know exactly what you're talking about--I have my own "inside sources" you see. ;-)

And it gave me great pause when I learned what "weighty, eternal matters" are still being discussed "inside the bubble" these days. I've been walking the streets and breathing the air of the "real world" now for over 20 years, and it occurs to me that at the end of the day none of those "weighty, eternal matters" matter one wit.

"Whoever is not against us is for us," someone great and mighty once said.

And I'll tell you something else. As an HU alum and the father of three sons who will be attending college over the next decade, I'm watching, listening and taking notes.

I appreciate your forthrightness and courage to speak out.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Your blog encourages me. Thanks for calling me to be more like Jesus. It's nice to hear someone from within these walls (of Searcy, of HU) calling me to real Christianity. It's like a breath of fresh air.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Lee Hodges said...

I feel your pain, but thanks be to God there is a fresh wind a blowin. God Bless!

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Mr. Stranger.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me I'll go to hell for using a mechanical instrument while saying "God" at the same time.

Thank you for explaining why I must take the Lord's Supper every week. (By the way, why do ya'll do that in the first place?)

Thank you for telling me what you want me to hear about Stone and the Campbells.

Thank you for sharing your testimony and tract about "Why I am a member of the Church of Christ."

Now, why am I getting into this water if it's not for a bath? To be what?

By the way, who is this Jesus? Is this what He wants me to be about, too?

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

My curiosity is aroused! I haven't a clue what is occuring there, but that isn't unusual. I am out here. I don't take brotherhood papers, don't read the bulletins I'm sent, and only go to lectureships when they need me to say something (rare). I am trying to convert southeast Michigan, including Detroit, and that keeps me very busy. When I see posts like yours, my friend, I often get surprised that the same old lines and issues are being used as the center of faith for so many. Those of us in "the air out there" are pushing the story of Jesus. It still works! Hang in there, brother David. You're a good man.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I watched the chapel speech on the TV and was depressed that what was being communicated was boiled down to a checklist of institutional deeds. The "tracts" we have handed out for years seem to insinuate the thought,"Here's what you need to do to be a member of our club. The do's and don'ts if you will."(doesn't that sound a lot like the old law requirements that our Saviour died to abolish?)Time spent talking about grace, and love, and forgiveness, and encouragement would best communicate what I believe Christ intended for "church" to be about. Thanks for the comments. God help us to be salt and light.
Keith

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Bro!! Many of us have been placed in this bubble to expose darkness and burst the "bubble." Carry on!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home