Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Barney's Gone........and Geographical Prejudice

I grew up watching Andy Griffith. My boys grew up watching it too. Many a life lesson they had been taught was endorsed by Andy, Barney, Opie, Aunt Bea,
Floyd, Gomer, Goober, Earnest T Bass, Otis, Howard, and even Juanita at the Diner. My folks still watch it every night. And now we have lost Barney Fife....good ole Barn. I don't think as a kid I appreciated the talents of Don Knotts. In my opinion, I think he was one of the best character actors of our generation. The show failed miserably after he left. He will be missed, but it's great we will still be able to hear exchanges like this one daily on the re-runs:

Andy: "Hey Barn, what if they was to ask you if you could sing a cappella, what would you do? Barney: "Why, I'd do it! (snapping fingers in rhythm) "A cappella, a cappella...well, I don't remember all the words."

Thanks for all the laughs and the good times you shared with us, Don Knotts.

----------------------------

Have you noticed how all the car companies love the West? We have the Dakota, the Sonoma, the Montana, the Tahoe, the Yukon....etc. Is the rest of the country just chopped liver or what? I mean, who wouldn't want to buy the Buick Bald Knob? When is Chevrolet going to come out with "the Pine Bluff" or "the Beebe"? I mean aren't people attracted to names like "the Pontiac Yazoo City" or "the Ford Starkville"?
I think we could make a pretty good case for the car companies being geographical prejudiced. Tell me Dodge wouldn't make a killing off of "the Muscle Shoals". It comes with a gun rack in every cab. The Toyota "Picayune", with it's standard life-vest would likely be a big seller in coastal regions. Let's start our email campaign today!

11 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger David U said...

Sorry this thing was messed up. I think the suits at GM must have read my suggestions and conspired to shut me up! :) Whatever.

DU

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Nip it, nip it, nip it! What other series can state that every show they made with "Barney" in it became a classic. Barney singing solo in the choir is a personal favorite as well as the first car purchase from the little old lady.
I think the Ford Florence and the Mazda Mobile would sell 2-3 vehicles. Maybe the Chrysler Crimson Tide! They perform about the same!!!
Later, KR

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Don Knotts was born in Morgantown, WV where I lived for eight years. We outgrew our building and were looking for property at the same time that the city fathers named a major road for him to honor his life and career. We decided against one good piece of land because the CoC tends to name its congregations after their address and we didn't want to be the Don Knotts Blvd. Church of Christ!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger David U said...

Patrick, that is HILLARIOUS! Thanks for sharing!

DU

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Laymond said...

I would be proud to attend the Barney Fife Church of Christ

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laymond sometimes I think I do.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've already put in an order for my new Hyundai Possum Grape

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Nancy French said...

I think the west holds some sort of mythical lure for people in the east, because of all the open spaces. In New York, for example, people see a commercial where a car is zipping sround the corner and then buy one and are stuck in 5 mph traffic.

Very frustrating...

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Emancipation Proclamation"
"We the people..."
Pickles
"Nip it in the bud!"
"In a jailhouse down in Dixie..."
Barney's First Car
"Santa Lucia..."
"I've got a uvula, you've got a uvula, all God's chillun got a uvula!"

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Jim Martin said...

David, What a good post! Barney Fife brings back a lot of memories for me.

 
At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Penyebab Kulit Tangan Mengelupas said...

Thank you very helpful article

Cara Mengobati Benjolan di leher
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Typus
Cara Mengobati bisul
Obat Benjolan Dimata
Obat Biang Keringat Pada Bayi Anak-anak dan dewasa
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gondongan Dengan Bahan Alami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home