Friday, February 24, 2006

February 24th, 1980

On this date, February 24th, some interesting things have happened. George Harrison was born on this day in 1943. I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved for being such a great song writer. He gave us masterpieces like "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun". He is still missed. Steve Jobs was born on this day in 1955, the same year I was born. Hmm.....makes me want to sing the words "one of these things is not like the other one"! :) Let's change the subject. Billy Joel released "Piano Man" on this date in 1974. He had a lot of great songs, but I think that will always be my favorite.

But for me, this is a very special date. A very special DAY indeed! You see, my first born son was born on this date in 1980. Matthew David Underwood came into this world late that morning, with Doc Citty barely getting there in time to catch him as he came out. My life has never been the same since that morning. I had never experienced INSTANT love before......ever. Everybody else in my life had always earned my love. My parents by changing my diapers and taking care of me. Friends had earned it by being kind and supportive. Jan had earned it by being sweet and loving. But here was this 5 pound baby that I would have died for THAT SECOND! And for 26 years that love and affection has only grown. Not because of what he has done, even though I could put a pretty good list together. It's not even because of WHO he is, and that is impressive also and I couldn't be prouder of him. Nope, it's simply because he was given to me for a short while. That's all.
That's enough.

I got to enjoy that same feeling again on October 7th, 1984. I'll talk about him on that date.

On 2/24/80 I began to get a glimpse of how THE father loves me.....unconditionally. I didn't really have a clue until that morning. Thanks Matt for a lot of things, but most of all for being my son and giving me the blessing of knowing how a father loves.

WODEES! (that's secret language, and another blog post!) :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT! SHOUAAAA!

11 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Five pounds! It didn't take him long to make that up. What a great kid,(man), Matt is indeed. I remember the instant impact he had on several of his peers at work when I hired him for part-time work at Ridout Lumber Co. Not so much because of his good work ethic, but mainly because of his character, humility, and smile. The kid can smile. I love ya, Matt. Happy Birthday. You got a great Dad. (and Mom)
Keith

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know Matt, but I know how much I love my sons and daughter, now long grown. It's wonderful, indeed, to be a parent in this world.

To be a Christian and to watch our children grow up in the Lord.

Nice post, David. Very nice, indeed.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I agree! That was very sweet, Mr. David. I feel very blessed to be a part of yalls lives! I have to go, because Im in Florence - its "Lil" time! Schoua

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger drjimwhite said...

I understand completely. While taking my "baby" to the school this morning (he has a show choir contest this afternoon), I told him I really didn't care if they won the competition today. The fact that he's my son is fact enough that I'm proud of him. I told him to do his best. He said, "Well, I want to win." I told him that's all right, but it didn't matter to me. He smiled and shook his head. I think he understood. Congratulations on having fine sons. They had good training from you and Jan, and a wonderful legacy from grandparents, too. That's a lot to be thankful for!! Looking forward to Pepperdine!! JW

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger PatrickMead said...

Congrats to both of you! As a daddy who welcomed home his son today (from repairing homes on the Gulf on his winter break) I almost need a ladder to hug him... but I still hug him. What gifts our children are!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,
Wow! My own post. I really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to experiencing that feeling you described. And I know you are looking forward to it too, because that will mean you have a grandbaby. Thanks for always letting me know how much you love me, not just by your words, but by your actions. Only now I am beginning to realize how much you did for our family when Luke and I were growing up. THANKS DAD. Wodees. And keep writing.

Buddy

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to see that you are such a proud father. Matt is very fortunate indeed!
Happy birthday, Matt!
My name is Wren....hello from Montreal, Canada!

http://s3.invisionfree.com/Hearts_Afire
(my family friendly forum)

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger dutro said...

Happy birthday, Matt.

Davy, in addition to being a brother figure and an uncle figure, you're a pretty good daddy figure, too.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Mark Elrod said...

Belated happy birthday to one of the best student-athletes I ever had in class.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

I don't have any parental experience, or any relationship expierences yet, but by viewing your topic, it sounds very rewarding in the end! Someday I will have that special feeling.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

longchamp handbags
nike blazer pas cher
saics running shoes
cheap ray bans
ray ban sunglasses outlet
coach outlet online
bears jerseys
hermes belt
seahawks jersey
ed hardy
2017.6.15

 

Post a Comment

<< Home